PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual Booting from an External Drive

rfbeck
December 18th, 2011, 05:06 AM
I recently (and sadly) had to delete my Ubuntu partition from my notebook's main HDD. I was running out of room for Windows7.
However, what I'd like to do is install Ubuntu to my exteral drive (eSATA) and dual boot that way.
I just need to make sure that if my external is not connected (it usually is) I can still boot into Win7.
Will I have to decide where the GRUB2 bootloader is placed, or any other arcane details?
I miss Ubuntu very much and am trying to think of any solution that will allow me to dual boot again.
Thanks for and guidance on this issue.
______
Robert

2F4U
December 18th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Make sure to not install Ubuntu's boot loader Grub into the MBR of the Windows hard disk.

http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2011/05/23/install-ubuntu-11-04-on-external-hard-disk/

fantab
December 18th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Can you make adjustments in BIOS to boot External Drive First? If you can then its easy.

When installing Ubuntu, Install GRUB on EXTERNAL DRIVE ONLY... when it is not plugged in Windows will boot.

If you can't adjust the BIOS then you will have a problem. You will be forced to install GRUB to Internal Drive and this will erase your Windows MBR. IMO that not big issue because GRUB will handle Windows with ease.

BC59
December 18th, 2011, 09:32 AM
I recently (and sadly) had to delete my Ubuntu partition from my notebook's main HDD. I was running out of room for Windows7.
However, what I'd like to do is install Ubuntu to my exteral drive (eSATA) and dual boot that way.
I just need to make sure that if my external is not connected (it usually is) I can still boot into Win7.
Will I have to decide where the GRUB2 bootloader is placed, or any other arcane details?
I miss Ubuntu very much and am trying to think of any solution that will allow me to dual boot again.
Thanks for and guidance on this issue.
______
Robert

I really don't understand what you like to do. Why you need Grub? If you like to use Ubuntu, just plug the external bootable drive and boot. If you like to use Windows, unplug the external drive and that's it.

hansdown
December 18th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Hi, rfbeck.

Reply # 2 & 3 are good.

BC59, Grub needs to be installed to the proper place.