PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't instal ubuntu 11.10 on windows 7

JansonsUzVilna
December 17th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Hi.

I just got my first laptop and i have windows 7 on it. I can't install ubuntu 11.10 on it, I am using wubi. I starting to install and then it just shows - 'windowsBackend' object has no attribute 'cd_path' . I have Dell Inspiron N411z. What cloud be the problem?

CombineSpectre
December 17th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Please try restarting the computer with the Ubuntu disc in the drive, wubi is known to have some problems when installing on windows.

If you don't want to remove windows choose the "Install along side windows (i.e other operating systems)" option or "replace windows with ubuntu" if you want to remove the windows OS - it should display three or four options depending on what version of Ubuntu you use.

JansonsUzVilna
December 17th, 2011, 12:01 PM
I restarted it, and nothing happened, I tried to install by using the Boot Menu by pressing F12 at the welcome screen and that doesent work. When I open wubi, I have 3 options:
Option 1: To install ubuntu and delete windows
Option 2: To install ubuntu and have windows also
Option 3: To check more options online, but I don't have internet to check that one.
Cloud the problem be, that i don't have internet? + I'm starting to think, that I have a lame fake windows 7, becouse I can't get internet with WiFi and also with a cable. I can't install drivers on it and can't do nothing. =/

SiegWahrheit
December 17th, 2011, 05:04 PM
I restarted it, and nothing happened, I tried to install by using the Boot Menu by pressing F12 at the welcome screen and that doesent work. When I open wubi, I have 3 options:
Option 1: To install ubuntu and delete windows
Option 2: To install ubuntu and have windows also
Option 3: To check more options online, but I don't have internet to check that one.
Cloud the problem be, that i don't have internet? + I'm starting to think, that I have a lame fake windows 7, becouse I can't get internet with WiFi and also with a cable. I can't install drivers on it and can't do nothing. =/

Try installing the pair of wubi and ubuntu version on this page:
http://releases.ubuntu.com/oneiric/

i installed my downloads from here and had never any problems with it:)

Rubi1200
December 17th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Hi and welcome to the forums JansonsUzVilna :)

Try the method suggested by SiegWahrheit; download the files and place them in the same folder before running the executable.

Let us know if this helps.

SiegWahrheit
December 17th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Hi and welcome to the forums JansonsUzVilna :)

Try the method suggested by SiegWahrheit; download the files and place them in the same folder before running the executable.

Let us know if this helps.

Thanks sir for agreeing:KS

JansonsUzVilna
December 18th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Ok, now a new error - IOError: <urlopen error (7, 'getaddrinfo failed')> Thats if I open the disk and then run Wubi. If i'm trieing to run the disk, that it just drops - No CD detected, cannot run CD menu.facepalm.

CombineSpectre
December 18th, 2011, 01:22 PM
What would happen if you used a DVD instead of CD, I had error messages with Linux Distro's before when using CD's, but didn't when I used DVD's.

JansonsUzVilna
December 18th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the idea of disk change. At the begining I used DVD, but then I tried a CD and it worked, exept one thing. The only option that was working, was, that I have Ubuntu and Windows. So, please, can you help me get to get out windows like forever, I don't need it and I need all my memory and stats on Ubuntu.?

Rubi1200
December 18th, 2011, 08:13 PM
I am bit confused.

You started this thread asking for help with installing Wubi.

Now you seem to want to have only Ubuntu.

Please tell us exactly what your goal is so we can offer the correct advice.

If you want, for example, to only have Ubuntu then there is little point in using Wubi which installs inside Windows.

JansonsUzVilna
December 18th, 2011, 08:25 PM
My goal is to have only Ubuntu.

Rubi1200
December 18th, 2011, 09:05 PM
If you have backed up all important data and are sure you no longer want Windows on the computer, then just run the LiveCD and choose to install to the drive (erase and use whole disk option).

The installer will do all the hard work and then you can have Ubuntu only.

JansonsUzVilna
December 19th, 2011, 04:29 PM
okay, finaly done, I used a USB flash and did some stuff, and finaly I have Ubuntu. : ) Thans.

Rubi1200
December 19th, 2011, 09:29 PM
No problem, you are more than welcome :)

Glad you can enjoy Ubuntu.

Please mark this Solved using the Thread Tools near the top of the page.