PDA

View Full Version : buy my own domain

Smilax
December 17th, 2011, 12:39 AM
i wish to buy my own domain,

i guess i have to register it (godaddy?)

but i want to host it myself.

i wish to use it for emails.

and a forum

a question, if the server is only up 12 hrs a day will i still recieve emails sent when the server is down

regards

fetal
December 17th, 2011, 01:15 AM
Yes. Godaddy is just one of the many domain registrars out there. And you can host it yourself. You'll just have to set it up to point to your ip address of the machine hosting it. Do you have a static ip from your isp?

And to answer your last question, no. They will timeout way before then.
If your machine is only up for 12 hours a day, I'd strongly suggest finding another hosting alternative.

Smilax
December 17th, 2011, 02:17 AM
thanks for the info fetal.

oldos2er
December 17th, 2011, 02:43 AM
Not an Ubuntu support question; moved to Community Cafe.

Paqman
December 17th, 2011, 03:19 AM
Do you have a static ip from your isp?

This is an important point Smilax. If you have a dynamic IP (like most home broadband connections) you'll have to subscribe to a service like DynDNS in order for people to find your site.

CharlesA
December 17th, 2011, 03:27 AM
This is an important point Smilax. If you have a dynamic IP (like most home broadband connections) you'll have to subscribe to a service like DynDNS in order for people to find your site.
Indeed.

I used domain.com to register my domain names, and a separate service for hosting. If you are hosting them yourself, you can use whatever domain registrar you want.

Smilax
December 17th, 2011, 04:07 AM
thanks CharlesA, i will check out domain.com

as for my ip address, yip it changes,

i was allready learning about things like DynDNS, and stuff.

i'm going to have to think about what to do,.

i don't really have the cash to pay for hosting, but i do have all the stuff.

but if the email times out there's not much point, who knows,

i think it's bed time for me. see ya's later.

DeadSuperHero
December 17th, 2011, 05:42 AM
I've used Name.com for the past year, and they've been wonderful.

undecim
December 17th, 2011, 05:52 AM
For email, check out Google Apps Free (http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/group/index.html)

mastablasta
December 17th, 2011, 09:06 AM
i don't really have the cash to pay for hosting, but i do have all the stuff.

Hosting is actually quite cheap. i mean you can get it for 60$, 70$ per year including domain name.

There are also free hosting alternatives such as this one: http://www.000webhost.com/
you can add your own domain, but i've noticed they have occasionaly quite a bit down time due to their maintenances. anyway you get plenty space, can stick forums on it read email...

however for something cheap and with good support use google apps (google sites). i think i tcosts abotu 20USd or something like that. you will be a bit limited in what kind of page you can make (or not since you can connect doman to blogger). you get plenty of space for email and files. you can create mailing lists. forums options are limited, but fo those you can always make a forum in one of the free forum sites avaialble all over internet and then point for example www.yourdomain.com/forum (http://www.yourdomain.com/forum) to it. you can create picture albums, create googleplus pages, connect it all. make multiple email accounts... it's not traditional web hosting and it does have some limitaitons.

bu tthey are fast, good support & cheap.