PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop invisible after upgrade to 11.04

marnevel
December 16th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Today I finally upgraded to 11.04 from 10.10 because I had been bothered about it for months. After a successful boot, I discovered I was unable to use the Desktop when running in dual monitor mode. When I disable the secondary monitor, I can see my desktop icons and background. However, when I try to enable the second monitor, the desktop remains completely black, and I cannot interact with any of the icons. Also, whenever I open a window and close it, that window remains visible until something else overlays it. If I drag the window around the screen I get a trail of ghost windows behind it. The taskbar and the menu bar are both behaving normally, as is the mouse pointer, and everything works as expected on a single monitor layout.

Also, the computer works fine as a single-monitor machine, using either monitor. They just won't play nicely together. They're both detected, and I can choose either one. In dual mode I can use either one, but I have no desktop unless I am in single monitor mode.

Has anyone seen a similar problem, or have any idea about where to start?