PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New to UBUNTU problems

SiegWahrheit
December 16th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Sirs, need help about Ubuntu just a newbie here, installed a 11.10 ver on my laptop. Now i got a dual boot OS, Win 7 32 bit and Ubuntu 32 bit. My problem is when im trying to play mp3 or even an avi using the Banshee player, my player wont respond and then after that, the OS wont respond to any input i make. Is there any way i could force kill the application or any way i could make the OS respond again? I have read that hard reset on PC could damage the Filesystem(NTFS), If is already damaged, how can i repair it?

And if im using the player offline, is there any possible way i could install the required plugins to play the media i tried to open, like codecs from Windows?

Are there any other suggestions i should know about Ubuntu for starters?

Need your expertise on here sirs, any help would do:).

Thanks in advance!

nothingspecial
December 16th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Hi, welcome to the forums :)

To kill a misbehaving app, press Alt-F2 then type

xkill

Then click the app's window.

Have you installed ubuntu-restricted-extras from the software centre? That will install all the necessary codecs to play your media files.

Also, if banshee is playing up try playing your songs or movies with movie player. See if that behaves better.

SiegWahrheit
December 16th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Hi, welcome to the forums :)

To kill a misbehaving app, press Alt-F2 then type

xkillThen click the app's window.

Have you installed ubuntu-restricted-extras from the software centre? That will install all the necessary codecs to play your media files.

Also, if banshee is playing up try playing your songs or movies with movie player. See if that behaves better.

Hi sir, thanks for the quick response:). Havent installed anything yet but will try installing the restricted extras later. And can i download the application available on software centre in the net? and install it as a standalone executable instead?:confused:

nothingspecial
December 16th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Is the problem that you have no internet connection?

This is going to make using Ubuntu problamatic.

SiegWahrheit
December 16th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Is the problem that you have no internet connection?

This is going to make using Ubuntu problamatic.

Just curious if the installer for Ubuntu is the same with windows, having a standalone executable. or if there are applications that can unpack applications for Ubuntu:)