PDA

View Full Version : What exactly ubuntu is ?

sunjava1
December 16th, 2011, 09:56 AM
I want to know, what exactly ubuntu is ? is it a OS ? if yes, then what are its features ? Who can use this OS ? commercial or local ?

lisati
December 16th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Ubuntu is a FREE OS, which anyone can use. Have a look here: http://www.ubuntu.com/tour/

Dangertux
December 16th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Ubuntu is a Linux based Operating System, anyone can use it. It is designed to be a fully featured alternative to Windows/Mac OSX in the desktop arena. It is also designed to provide a stable and secure server solution. It also provides a lot of nifty cloud capabilities with Ubuntu UEC. For more information check out

http://www.ubuntu.com

lolpenguin
December 16th, 2011, 11:14 AM
About Ubuntu | Ubuntu Wiki (http://www.ubuntu.com/project/about-ubuntu)
All you need to know.

tears of the river
December 16th, 2011, 11:22 AM
I want to know, what exactly ubuntu is ? is it a OS ? if yes, then what are its features ? Who can use this OS ? commercial or local ?

welcome to ubuntu forums and well ubuntu is a free linux operating system based on debian (another linux operating system)

im not sure what you mean by what are its features?? (i guess its features would be quite the same as windows however there are a few points that make it better in my opinion)

its an os that is made for i guess all users from a complete noob to an expert. however you may find a slight adjustment but if you have any problem than the ubutnu forums is always open for you

its a local os i guess.....

i think that thats all the questions any way if you want to check it out then just download it. burn on a cd/dvd. pop it in a cd drive and boot from cd

hope i was of some help ;P

sunjava1
December 16th, 2011, 02:41 PM
thanks guys that was helpful, I took the tour and its impressive, Some questions in my mind. Hope they'll be not annoying for you. :D

1. From where I can download Ubuntu ?

2. what is its download size ?

3. Is there a way to run setup directly from installer ? i.e. Don't want to create a CD/DVD neither want to Download it in USB.

4. All software are supported in it ? i.e. word, excel, photoshop, teamweaver, skype , sound recorders etc etc

5. I have 800mhz processor , 512 mb RAM, 24bit colors 80gb Hard Drive, can it will be okay for Ubuntu ?

6. What are Kubuntu, Edubuntu, Xubuntu and Lubuntu ? same like as windows xp, windows 7, windows vista ? I means are they the versions of Ubuntu ?

And last question :p is this the official forum of Ubuntu ?

Vaphell
December 16th, 2011, 03:16 PM
1. ubuntu.com, also google is your friend
2. 700MB (cd)
3. you would need to mount the image and install with something called wubi, but imo it sucks and it is slower than a fullblown installation, especially with your hardware specs
4. no, ubuntu/linux is not windows for free and windows apps don't simply run (some things have native version like Skype, some have native alternatives like MSOffice->LibreOffice, some things can be run with wine)
5. it will run but can be little heavy, good thing is that you can install lighter desktop environment like lxde (go with lubuntu to get it right off the bat)
6. No, XP/Vista/7 are an evolution of the product line, while (K/L/X)ubuntu are parallel versions of the same thing, something like the same system with different desktop skins that are of different weight and feature set.

not sure if official, but the main one for sure.

tears of the river
December 16th, 2011, 04:36 PM
i guess that most of your anwers have already been answered by Vaphell however overlooking your low ram and processor i would recommend that you look at 10.04 and if you find that slow then i would go to Kubuntu as that is even lighter than ubuntu :D

flyingfisch
December 16th, 2011, 04:48 PM
I actually have the same hardware specs you have and ubuntu 11.10 with the unity 2D desktop works fine for me. ;)

PaulW2U
December 16th, 2011, 05:36 PM
however overlooking your low ram and processor i would recommend that you look at 10.04 and if you find that slow then i would go to Kubuntu as that is even lighter than ubuntu

I think you meant to write Lubuntu. :)

sunjava1
December 17th, 2011, 07:24 AM
You are confusing me guys, Ubuntu , Lbuntu or Kbuntu ?

Elfy
December 17th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Thread moved to The Community Cafe.

sunjava1
December 17th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Thread moved to The Community Cafe.
why ?

lisati
December 17th, 2011, 07:30 AM

Ubuntu is the "standard" flavour. Lubuntu and Kubuntu are variants where one of the main differences is the GUI (i.e. the way things appear on the screen.) Some of the variants don't need so much horsepower under your computer's hood as the standard Ubuntu.

Elfy
December 17th, 2011, 07:31 AM

If you're machine specs are low then I would try xubuntu or lubuntu first.

They are all types of ubuntu with different desktop environments.

http://www.xubuntu.org/
http://lubuntu.net/
http://www.kubuntu.org/

Elfy
December 17th, 2011, 07:32 AM
why ?

Because it's not a support request and
Finally, you agree that forum staff have the right to remove, edit, move or close any post, topic or thread at any time they see fit following the guidelines outlined below.

sunjava1
December 17th, 2011, 07:33 AM
Because it's not a support request and
okay

cwklinuxguy
December 17th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Hey there.

What people are trying to say is that Linux operating systems (such as Ubuntu) can run various desktop skins/environments. Currently, Ubuntu can run the following:

- Unity (main Ubuntu release)
- XFCE (xubuntu)
- LXDE (lubuntu)
- KDE (kubuntu)
- Gnome Shell (main ubuntu release)

As I listed there, each desktop interface has an Ubuntu variant that it comes preloaded in, but you can also install any of those (maybe with the exception of Unity) in ANY of the variants.

LXDE (found in Lubuntu) is usually the one that does the best (in terms of speed and performance, etc) on low spec hardware like your own, so Lubuntu is probably your best bet. If you want something EVEN lighter, try WattOS (http://www.planetwatt.com/), which is based on Ubuntu.

QIII
December 17th, 2011, 07:47 AM
And there is this, sunjava1:

There are many, many distributions of Linux other than Ubuntu. (A "distribution" is a version of Linux produced by various groups or entities.) While we would certainly be happy to have you choose Ubuntu, you are more than free to try any number of distributions that you might find to your liking.

I use Ubuntu (Kubuntu, in this case, because I use the KDE desktop environment) and Fedora. You might think of them as two separate villages in the same "tribe"; whereas Ubuntu, Xubuntu, lubuntu and Kubuntu are all related families in the same village.

I also use an Ubuntu derivative called Bodhi Linux on low spec machines (somewhat like yours) that I rescue and resuscitate to give to people who need a computer (and who doesn't in this world?) but are financially constrained. Bodhi is not "second rate". It's a great distribution. But it is minimal and does not have all the bells and whistles by default. I like it because it reminds me of the "old days" when what you got with Linux was a box of parts that you had to figure out how to put together.

coffeecat
December 17th, 2011, 11:09 AM
And last question :p is this the official forum of Ubuntu ?

Yes.

http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=about

The Ubuntu Forums were created by Ryan Troy (ubuntu-geek) in October 2004. The forums became a popular resource for Ubuntu and were deemed the Official Ubuntu Forums in November 2004.

You've come to the right place. :wink:

Erik1984
December 17th, 2011, 12:25 PM
I don't know exactly what it is, but I do know it's damn addictive and fun to use :P

sunjava1
December 17th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Where Can I found a complete exe installer for Ubuntu. I downloaded wubi.exe but it every time fails and give error while downloading files.

cwklinuxguy
December 17th, 2011, 06:19 PM
I feel content to point out that when using WUBI, the Ubuntu installation is actually contained within the partition (part of your hard drive) that contains your Windows installation, which means if your Windows system goes down, you'd lose Ubuntu too.

Don't you need the ISO to use WUBI? www.ubuntu.com

oldos2er
December 17th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Where Can I found a complete exe installer for Ubuntu. I downloaded wubi.exe but it every time fails and give error while downloading files.

I suggest you start a thread in the Absolute Beginners forum, and give as many details of the problem as possible, including any error messages.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1422475

Paqman
December 17th, 2011, 07:49 PM

Wubi is the Windows Ubuntu Installer. When it runs it downloads an ISO disk image (700MB) of Ubuntu and uses that to install. You can either let Wubi download it for you (although it doesn't sound like you're having much success with this) or you can download the ISO image from ubuntu.com and place it in the same folder as wubi.exe, then run Wubi.

Note that .exe's are Windows executables, and not how you normally install things on Linux. The traditional way of installing Linux is to burn the ISO to a CD or put it on a USB stick. Wubi is a tool for Windows users that's been created to help with migrating from Windows to Linux.

Click on this page (http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download) and check the "show me how" links to be shown how to create a LiveCDor USB if Wubi isn't doing it for you.

sunjava1
December 18th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Wubi is the Windows Ubuntu Installer. When it runs it downloads an ISO disk image (700MB) of Ubuntu and uses that to install. You can either let Wubi download it for you (although it doesn't sound like you're having much success with this) or you can download the ISO image from ubuntu.com and place it in the same folder as wubi.exe, then run Wubi.

Note that .exe's are Windows executables, and not how you normally install things on Linux. The traditional way of installing Linux is to burn the ISO to a CD or put it on a USB stick. Wubi is a tool for Windows users that's been created to help with migrating from Windows to Linux.

Click on this page (http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download) and check the "show me how" links to be shown how to create a LiveCDor USB if Wubi isn't doing it for you.
Thank you

sunjava1
December 20th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Thanks every one, Using Ubuntu its really fun :)

forrestcupp
December 20th, 2011, 03:57 PM

Looks like you already have it sorted out. But just so you know, Ubuntu is not a Windows program that makes Windows work differently. It is a complete replacement of Windows. (although you can dual boot alongside Windows) It is an alternative to using Windows.

Don't forget that since it is a completely different operating system, you can't expect it to run Windows apps any more than you would expect a Mac to run Windows apps. You need Windows apps for Windows, Mac apps for Macs, Android apps for Android, iOS apps for iPhones, and Linux apps for Ubuntu. They are all different OSs that need to run apps that were programmed specifically for them. The good thing is that a lot of apps have versions for each OS, and if they don't, there is probably some alternative that is programmed for Linux/Ubuntu. But you're not going to be able to go to Best Buy and buy a game or Photoshop and expect it to run in an OS that it wasn't programmed for.

Ubuntu does have something you can install called Wine, but you can't just expect that it will work. Wine is not technically an emulator, but to someone who doesn't know anything about it, an easy way to describe it is that it is a compatibility layer that is similar to an emulator that tries to run Windows programs in Ubuntu. It has gotten a lot better over the years, but you definitely can't expect it to just work with everything, especially without a lot of headaches and tweaking.

But if you can find Ubuntu apps that you are happy with, and you realize just what it is and isn't, I think you'll continue to enjoy it a lot. ;)