PDA

View Full Version : How to install Kubuntu?

CowPie
March 10th, 2005, 12:01 AM
I've heard a lot of news about this release, but the wiki doesn't have info on installing...has anyone done it?

neom
March 10th, 2005, 12:23 AM
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/InstallingKDE is the best place for information on install.

Instead of going though any hassle though, personally I just found kubuntu in the package manager and installed it from there. Worked well and seems very stable.

You can get the updated live & install ISOs at http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/

CowPie
March 14th, 2005, 11:00 PM
Hi neon, I tried doing "apt-get install kubuntu" but nothing happens...

CowPie
March 14th, 2005, 11:01 PM
Hi neon, I tried doing "apt-get install kubuntu" but nothing happens...
Oh I see, it's apt-get install kubuntu-desktop. Thank you for the link as welL!!

wbeck85
March 16th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Oh my goodness, Alright, so, i tried to install kubuntu-desktop via synaptic. It just finished, after waiting 2 hours. It only took about 3 minutes to dl everything (University ethernet -Ahhh....) but then i sat there and sat there.

**Note to synaptic users**

Make sure you are viewing the terminal in the Installation progress window(just click the tiny little arrow next to "terminal" so you can see waht goes on.

THERE ARE PROMPTS. if you do not answer them, you will stare a at progress bar going from left to right to left to right to left to right to left to right for HOURS :)

So, just fyi :)

if you apt-get kubuntu-desktop, naturally you will already be looking at a terminal and shouldnt have any problems :)

tamills
March 17th, 2005, 04:22 PM
So does anyone know the difference between installing the KDE packages, kde-desktop, and kubuntu?

I did a search in synaptic for KDE and installed every result. It seems to work just fine. Is this the same as kubuntu?

Thanks

apokryphos
March 17th, 2005, 10:25 PM
The kubuntu wiki has been updated:
https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/Kubuntu

In response to the above question: installing kde on ubuntu practically gives you Ubuntu. Apt-get kubuntu-desktop is a good bet; if you're not looking for all those things, install kde-core, which will get you all the necessary stuff; you'll also likely want kdm.

For the kubuntu tweaks, get the kubuntu-default-settings package from the repositories, too.

CowPie
March 18th, 2005, 02:57 AM
The kubuntu wiki has been updated:
https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/Kubuntu

In response to the above question: installing kde on ubuntu practically gives you Ubuntu. Apt-get kubuntu-desktop is a good bet; if you're not looking for all those things, install kde-core, which will get you all the necessary stuff; you'll also likely want kdm.

For the kubuntu tweaks, get the kubuntu-default-settings package from the repositories, too.
You know what sucks. Uninstalling kubuntu-desktop with apt-get doesn't remove all the other stuff it installed! And thanks for the link

CowPie
March 18th, 2005, 02:59 AM
Oh my goodness, Alright, so, i tried to install kubuntu-desktop via synaptic. It just finished, after waiting 2 hours. It only took about 3 minutes to dl everything (University ethernet -Ahhh....) but then i sat there and sat there.

Make sure you are viewing the terminal in the Installation progress window(just click the tiny little arrow next to "terminal" so you can see waht goes on.

THERE ARE PROMPTS. if you do not answer them, you will stare a at progress bar going from left to right to left to right to left to right to left to right for HOURS :)

if you apt-get kubuntu-desktop, naturally you will already be looking at a terminal and shouldnt have any problems :)
Maybe it would be a good idea to file a bug with gnome to tell them to implement that windows xp notification thingy, where the taskbar blinks.

jdong
March 18th, 2005, 03:23 AM
Both GNOME And KDE support the Urgent notifier (i.e. taskbar blink). GAIM actually can be configured to use it, through an included extension.

It should also drop open the terminal window in the event of a prompt.

This bug, instead, should be filed to the Synaptic guys.

bored2k
March 18th, 2005, 03:25 AM
Maybe it would be a good idea to file a bug with gnome to tell them to implement that windows xp notification thingy, where the taskbar blinks.
A bug ? What you want is to ask apt-get developers [debian] to make it produce a sound when a question gets asked, right ?

:-\

CowPie
March 18th, 2005, 03:27 AM
A bug ? What you want is to ask apt-get developers [debian] to make it produce a sound when a question gets asked, right ?

oops, I didn't know it was their problem!

apokryphos
March 18th, 2005, 07:22 PM
You know what sucks. Uninstalling kubuntu-desktop with apt-get doesn't remove all the other stuff it installed! And thanks for the link
Yeah, it's only a meta-package; it depends on other packages, but the reverse is not true. You can find out which ones it installs by checking the dependencies it has.

poofyhairguy
March 21st, 2005, 09:06 AM

Nope. You want them to jump!

JaspSoft
March 23rd, 2005, 12:41 PM
newbie question:

I have kubuntu on cd, how to i install the kunbuntu-desktop onto a machine already running gnome ubuntu?

I have hoary.

J. S. Jackson
March 31st, 2005, 10:15 AM
newbie question:

I have kubuntu on cd, how to i install the kunbuntu-desktop onto a machine already running gnome ubuntu?

I have hoary.

Fairly simple really. Have a look here:
http://kubuntu.org/documentation.php

That's the method I used.

lao_V
March 31st, 2005, 10:25 AM

This has now been fixed/modified so that if there is a prompt in the terminal window a dialog box will appear which will ask you if you want to replace your configuration file or not.

It seems to be that Ubuntu dev's have been making a considerable number of changes (tweaks) in the way the standard kernel/software works. I'm just wondering if these are upstreamed at all? It would be pretty sad if they weren't.

J-Doe
April 3rd, 2005, 11:10 AM
Just wondering... I'm currently using Ubuntu Hoary and I installed KDE a while ago (haven't actually been using linux at all for a couple of months). I just installed KDE via apt-get and my KDE 3.3.2 is working somewhat well...
Should I install kubuntu-desktop ? cause now I guess I'm not using the real Kubuntu?
I won't do a clean install cause I had to work a little to get this system to work with my hardware...
So to be clear my question is: Should I install Kubuntu and if I should, how should I update my system to Kubuntu? :)

Again, thanks in advance for antbody kind enough to answer my questions... ;-)

benjamonk
December 8th, 2009, 09:36 PM
I'm thinking of trying Kubuntu 9.10 as I am having display issues with Ubuntu.

I get that I need to select the Kubuntu-Desktop package but do I need to remove everything Gnome related too? How do I do that, to make sure I've got everything removed? Do a search on 'Gnome' and remove everything completely?

alphaniner
December 8th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Four and a half years dead. That's quite a necro-bump. You should start a new thread in the Desktop Environments Forum (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=329).

benjamonk
December 8th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Oh yes. Whoops!

NormanFLinux
December 8th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Keep Synaptic and get rid of Kpackagekit. Its poorly implemented and I prefer Synaptic for installing software in Kubuntu.

cariboo
December 8th, 2009, 10:36 PM
This thread is way to old, things have changed quite a bit in almost 5 years. IF you have installation questions, ask them in General Help. Closed.