PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] oneiric insists on metacity

Esekla
December 15th, 2011, 10:16 PM
I've used Ubuntu for a long time and have highly customized desktop, using FVWM under a gnome session. When I upgraded to oneiric, I found that the $WINDOW_MANAGER environment variable was no longer honored. I had to setup .desktop and .session files for this configuration. That worked for a while but, after updating software recently, I find that metacity gets loaded by both gnome-session and gnome-session-fallback as the window manager regardless of what I do. This happens regardless of whether I use gdm, or startx and .xsession from my .profile.

Here are the related files:
~$ cat .xsession
/usr/bin/gnome-session-fallback --session=zak

~$ cat /usr/share/xsessions/zak.desktop
[Desktop Entry] Name=Zak GNOME Comment=This session logs you into GNOME with the traditional panel
Exec=gnome-session-fallback --session=zak
TryExec=gnome-session-fallback
Icon= Type=Application

~$ cat /usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/zak.session
[GNOME Session]
Name=Zak GNOME
RequiredComponents=gnome-panel;gnome-settings-daemon; RequiredProviders=windowmanager;notifications;
DefaultProvider-windowmanager=fvwm
DefaultProvider-notifications=notify-osd
IsRunnableHelper=/usr/lib/gnome-session/gnome-session-check-accelerated
FallbackSession=gnome-fallback
DesktopName=GNOME

I'm pretty close to going back to using Debian exclusively as Ubuntu just gets harder and harder to customize. All I want is for gnome-session to use fvwm as the window manager.

Krytarik
December 15th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Then maybe you shouldn't use executables no other session uses for the initiation. ;-)

This is the content of "/usr/bin/gnome-session-fallback":

#! /bin/sh
exec gnome-session --session gnome-fallback "$@"And, since it seems like you used the .desktop file of "GNOME Classic", "gnome-classic.desktop", as the template for your session, it seems like you deliberately replaced the correct "gnome-session" command with those! In fact, I'm wondering how it has ever worked, if it was always set up like that.

So set up your session files like this instead:

/usr/share/xsessions/zak.desktop:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Zak GNOME
Comment=This session logs you into GNOME with the traditional panel
Exec=gnome-session --session=zak
TryExec=gnome-session
Icon=
Type=Application
X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=gnome-session-3.0~/.xsession:

/usr/bin/gnome-session --session=zakYou should also have to remove the entry "notifications" from the file below, to make the session actually run, and not fall back again to the "gnome-fallback" session (bug report here (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-session/+bug/885939)).

Plus, if your graphics setup doesn't pass the capability check, you need to remove the fallback part outright.

/usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/zak.session:

[GNOME Session]
Name=Zak GNOME
RequiredComponents=gnome-panel;gnome-settings-daemon;
RequiredProviders=windowmanager;notifications;
DefaultProvider-windowmanager=fvwm
DefaultProvider-notifications=notify-osd
IsRunnableHelper=/usr/lib/gnome-session/gnome-session-check-accelerated
FallbackSession=gnome-fallback
DesktopName=GNOMERegards.

Esekla
December 16th, 2011, 07:38 AM
yes fallback was just a later desperation experiment, sorry.

eliminating the notifications seems to be the critical change.

thanks!