PDA

View Full Version : Make a python script double-clickable

3rdalbum
June 5th, 2006, 04:01 PM
I would like to set up my Python script so it opens by double-clicking in Gnome. Right now, when you double-click it, it opens in gedit. I've got Nautilus set to "Ask each time" for executable text files.

I've tried putting #!/usr/python at the top of my script, but to no avail.

If someone could please tell me how to achieve this, or point me to a URL about it, I would be most appreciative.

dabear
June 5th, 2006, 04:07 PM
ehm, you could compile the file to a .pyc? look at modules such as compileall

Engnome
June 5th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Havent tried python but in perl adding the line #!/usr/bin/perl and then adding execute permissions to the file will make the "Run in terminal Display Cancel Run" dialog pop up if you double click it. Maybe there is something similar in python?

simplyw00x
June 5th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Definitely the way to go is "chmod +x" the file (or use the GUI in nautilus to add execute permissions).

Engnome
June 6th, 2006, 12:31 AM
Did you change your first post to include:

I've tried putting #!/usr/python at the top of my script, but to no avail.

?

If so dont do that in the future. People wont notice the new info and thread continuity will be disrupted.

If not sorry I bothered you.

Anyway its should be #!/usr/bin/python (atleast on my system) Then right click the file and select properties. Under the permissons tab mark the Execute boxes.

Ingenue
August 17th, 2008, 09:12 PM
I know this post is old as hell, but...how do you make the terminal hang around after it is run after being clicked. I know other ways to run the script. Maybe I am not asking this right?

Steveway
August 17th, 2008, 09:18 PM
You should put:
#!/usr/bin/env python
at the top of your program.

Ingenue
August 17th, 2008, 09:30 PM
You should put:
#!/usr/bin/env python
at the top of your program.

bless you!

unutbu
August 17th, 2008, 09:31 PM
@Ingenue, perhaps you could swap computers with OzzyFrank: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5604819&postcount=1

If the shipping cost is prohibitive, then hm...
how about this:

#!/usr/bin/env python
print "Hello"
raw_input()

ending the script with "raw_input()" seems to preserve the terminal until you press a key.

LaRoza
August 17th, 2008, 10:24 PM
ending the script with "input()" seems to preserve the terminal until you press a key.

Use "raw_input()", input() will evaluate the input, and you don't want that.

Also, the actions of double clicking is up to the file manager. In Windows, double clicking does weird things (like if you change the exenstion of of something and double click it, it will automatically run it!)

Most Linux file managers usually give a dialog (like run, edit and such), but can be configured to do others things.

pmasiar
August 18th, 2008, 02:06 AM
Also, the actions of double clicking is up to the file manager.

... and you don't need it.

Preferably run your program from IDLE. If not, open terminal, cd to directory where your program lives (assuming it is called myprogram.py), and type "python mypr" <TAB>. Shell is smart, it checks which files match "mypr" and adds the rest of the filename if can be resolved uniquely.

And running your program again from shell is even simpler: hit up-arrow and previous line from shell history will pop up, edit parameters or just hit enter to run it.

And you can switch between editor and shell by alt-tab, like in windows, but you knew that?

Keyboard is much faster than fiddling around with the mouse - Linux gurus have zillions such timesaving tips for you, free for taking.

Enjoy!

Ingenue
August 18th, 2008, 02:29 AM
... and you don't need it.

Preferably run your program from IDLE. If not, open terminal, cd to directory where your program lives (assuming it is called myprogram.py), and type "python mypr" <TAB>. Shell is smart, it checks which files match "mypr" and adds the rest of the filename if can be resolved uniquely.

And running your program again from shell is even simpler: hit up-arrow and previous line from shell history will pop up, edit parameters or just hit enter to run it.

And you can switch between editor and shell by alt-tab, like in windows, but you knew that?

Keyboard is much faster than fiddling around with the mouse - Linux gurus have zillions such timesaving tips for you, free for taking.

Enjoy!

I see what you are saying, and I do that as well. I just wanted to know because I want to know...

Thanks again!