PDA

View Full Version : kudos for bodhi linux

Docaltmed
December 15th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Although I really like my netbook for carrying with me from exam room to exam room, it really wasn't designed to handle the other tasks I am confronted with, from viewing x-rays to analyzing digital biometric data. Then there is Ryzom, but let's not go there.

So I purchased another computer to handle the heavy loads, and I re-focused the netbook to do what it does best, which is interface with my browser-based EMR (OpenEMR, thanks guys!), IM with my staff, and of course, hang out on Ubuntuforums (and Reddit, I'm ashamed to admit).

I'm not a Unity-hater, that's the standard DE in my practice, but I confess to being a bit of a DE philanderer. My personal computer runs Gnome Shell, we have Kubuntu at home...so I figured it was time to look into one of the lightweight DEs, like Lubuntu, Xubuntu, etc.

Honestly, I didn't like either one of those, Lubuntu was just too Gnome 2 for my taste and xfce just looks like a PITA.

Crunchbang was just a little to austere for my tastes. I didn't want to wander too far afield from Debian/Ubuntu...

Then I saw Bodhi Linux. Cute! Enlightenment is a window manager with great gams, and clearly care was taken with the appearance. Even on the Asus eeePC with its 1GB and Atom processor, Bodhi was doggone snappy even running from the live USB.

It was clearly lust at first sight. So I wiped the disk and installed Bodhi, and I couldn't be happier. I added the lightweight app package from the Bodhi app center, and was up in running in something less than an hour. It is perfect for my little netbook for in-office use and chucking into my carry on for conferences.

Congratulations to the Bodhi devs, whoever you are. It is a truly excellent interface, and I would encourage any of you who are still squirming at the thought of Unity or GS to give it a try. It's much more than Gnome 2, but far less intrusive than the other desktops.

I swear, if DEs were wives, I'd be in the poor house for all the alimony I would be paying...

ugm6hr
December 15th, 2011, 08:36 PM
I am a netbook fan - ever since my Dell Mini 9... from where I am typing.
I had gone down the lightweight route - and agree that there are many good options (haven't tried enlightenment for a few years though).
The main reason that I am now with Gnome3-shell, is that Gnome still has the best support for multiple monitors. For anyone who does presentations with projectors, there is no comparable option. Other DEs often need rebooting after connection, and sometimes just won't work at all with projectors.

neu5eeCh
December 16th, 2011, 01:55 AM
I tried Bodhi, not too long ago, but didn't like the font rendering; the menus, title bars, panels all seemed hard to read and a step backwards. But maybe that's changed...

sammiev
December 16th, 2011, 02:11 AM
I tested the 32 bit version and thought it was pretty good but it sounds like a 64 bit version isn't planned. Unless things have changed in the last month or so.

beastrace91
December 16th, 2011, 04:19 AM
I tested the 32 bit version and thought it was pretty good but it sounds like a 64 bit version isn't planned. Unless things have changed in the last month or so.

64bit will be added with the 2.0.0 release next summer (which will be rebased on Ubuntu 12.04)

Thanks for the positive words - always glad to hear people find mine (and my team's) work useful.

~Jeff

sammiev
December 16th, 2011, 04:45 AM
64bit will be added with the 2.0.0 release next summer (which will be rebased on Ubuntu 12.04)

Thanks for the positive words - always glad to hear people find mine (and my team's) work useful.

~Jeff

Hi Jeff, I would be willing to test the per alpha version as I'm already have been running 12.04 before it was even alpha1.

beastrace91
December 16th, 2011, 06:27 AM
Hi Jeff, I would be willing to test the per alpha version as I'm already have been running 12.04 before it was even alpha1.

Keep an eye on my blog/Bodhi homepage for news on the 2.0.0 pre-releases. We will have another couple update releases (1.3.0 and 1.4.0) based on 10.04 before it releases even.

Odds are the first 2.0.0 "alphas" will appear some time after Ubuntu 12.04 hits a "beta" state. From past experience Ubuntu releases always take time to stabilize after even after their final release - so odds are we won't have a 2.0.0 branded as "stable" until May or June of next year.

~Jeff