PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 11 and 10 installation CD stops early

sepnur
December 15th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Ubuntu (and xubuntu) 11 and 10 installation troubles (32 bit versions). I have been inable to use the iso-file, it simply does not run Yes, it is burned correctly as a CD image!. The CD can be read from Windows, and it contans the folders is should. But something goes wrong when trying to boot from it.

Error in download or burning? I find it hard to believe. Because I have been downloading several times from different PC:s and different browsers. Have tried burning the iso files on CD:s from three different burners. Also tried using bootable USB:s. The same error, the installation won't boot.

In most cases it displays the first screen, the language choice. I have tried English and Swedish, with no better result. Sometimes it simply stops and does nothing (have waited for hours), sometimes it displays an unending list of colons running for hours if I let it keep going. I have been working with it for a week now with no success.

Wubi works, and I can install Ubuntu 11.10 inside Windows, by letting wubi download it directly and installing it "on fly". All other ways, no success.

Curiously, an Ubuntu 9.04 CD that I have burned in the same burner works ok.

Maybe Ubuntu versions 11 and 10 contain boot code that is not compatible with my BIOS, or something? It is an old PC, no doupt, but it works with Windws XP and Ubuntu with wubi, so there should not be any severe hardware errors.

Anyone experiencing similar problems?
Should I start from Ubuntu 9.04 (because I know that it works) and then upgrade?
But I do not know how to upgrade directly to latest version.

Rubi1200
December 16th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Hi and welcome to the forums :-)

Please post details about error messages if you can.

Also, we definitely need to know the make/model of computer and the full specifications.

Thanks.

fantab
December 16th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Hi and welcome to the forums :-)

Please post details about error messages if you can.

Also, we definitely need to know the make/model of computer and the full specifications.

Thanks.

Have you burned the CD at the slowest possible speed?

Please tell us more.

sepnur
December 19th, 2011, 11:22 PM
No error messages, it only stops or goes to a loop.

CPU Inter Celeron D 330, 2666 MHz (20x133)
MSI 848P Neo-V (MS-6788 (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio)
Shipset: Intel Breeds Hill i848P
memory: 2048 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS: AMI (01/08/06)

It can hardly be too high burning rate, since also boot from USB shows similar behavior.
And Ubuntu 9 burned the same way on CD:s from the same pack works without errors.

Also the wubi installation run to error after a while. It worked couple of days, then it became unbootable. Again, Ubuntu 9 runs without probems. But 10 and 11 give me trouble.