PDA

View Full Version : Help me escape from windows forever.

pahbi
June 5th, 2006, 03:11 PM
I have dapper up and running on my Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop, and so far I pretty much have all the software I need for when work sends me on travel. Things like email, word processing, PIM, basic entertainment etc.

But there are 2 applications I really use a lot that I can't seem to find.

The first is a good map program. I currently use microsofts streets and trips 2005, and I rely on it not just for basic directions, but for things like finding the closest ATM or gas station or hotel. Although there are decent online map web pages, I can't always rely on being able to get online without spending a bunch of $$$. I could probably duel boot my laptop to run streets and trips, or try WINE but I'd rather just have everything in one OS.

The second is probably easier to find, but I use a little software package called Admuncher which filters a lot of web advertising and makes the internet a little easier to deal with.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
- Pahbi

kb3hkg
June 5th, 2006, 03:16 PM
depending on what web browser you use there are extensions available to do the adblock part

fuscia
June 5th, 2006, 03:30 PM
adblock and customize google (both firefox extensions) might do a lot of what you're looking for, regarding the second concern. flashblock is good too.

tuggy
June 5th, 2006, 03:40 PM
I could probably duel boot my laptop to run streets and trips, or try WINE but I'd rather just have everything in one OS.
with WINE you get everything in just one OS. you dont need windows to use WINE :)
give it a try and let us know.

i dont use maps so much, but when i need direction i just check it online and print it out :)