PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] update manager interaction with unity sidebar

gleedadswell
December 15th, 2011, 12:17 AM
I kind of like that when the update manager comes up it just politely appears in the sidebar and that I can right click and choose "install all" from the right click menu. But, when I left click the update manager icon on the sidebar shouldn't it launch the update manager interface so I can review the available updates and read the descriptions of them? When I left click the update manager icon nothing happens. If I want to read the descriptions of the updates I need to launch the update manager from Dash.

Is this a bug or something intentional? Or have I unknowingly got some setting that causes this?

I'm using 11.10 on an HP 2000-240ca laptop (dual AMD E-350 processors, AMD Radeon HD 6300 graphics card).

jimmydean886-2
December 15th, 2011, 03:29 AM
I'm not sure if it's actually logged as a bug, but that happens to me too. I just use alt+tab to get to it and it comes right up.

racmar
December 15th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Same thing has been happening to me for the last several weeks. It is annoying, but I just close it and open a terminal to use apt-get.

Today I was annoyed with it and tried to delete the .update-manager-core from my home folder.

Can you try it and see if it works for you?

rm -rf ~/.update-manager-core/

racmar
December 15th, 2011, 07:23 PM
After running:

update-manager --no-focus-on-map

I can see that my proposed fix did not work.

I've also tried:

sudo apt-get remove --purge update-manager* update-notifier*
sudo apt-get install update-manager update-notifier

I do notice that if I wait a few seconds for the number of packages to show up in the icon that I can open the update-manager after doing the remove/install from above.

Any other suggestions / fixes?

jimmydean886-2
December 15th, 2011, 11:30 PM
Click on the desktop, then try clicking the launcher again. That worked before alt+tab became habbit for me.

gleedadswell
December 16th, 2011, 04:14 AM
Nope, none of those are working for me. Clicking on the desktop then on the icon in the sidebar doesn't do anything. Its icon appears among the others with ALT+Tab, but ALT-Tabbing to it doesn't bring it up. Still the only way is to open it from Dash.

I notice that the little arrow pointing at it in the sidebar is solid light blue, but the arrows pointing at anything else is clear with a white outline if its not the active window and solid white if it is the active window. Does the light blue arrow have some special meaning?

thaelim
December 16th, 2011, 08:27 AM
When this happened to me, I go round it by right clicking the icon in the sidebar, clicking Quit/Close (whatever it's called), then manually starting update manager again.

gleedadswell
December 17th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Yes, that's what I do as well. It's just a minor annoyance to have to do this rather than have it launch properly from the sidebar.

gleedadswell
December 20th, 2011, 06:02 PM
The other thing I've just noticed is that when I right click and choose "install all updates" from the sidebar it doesn't ask me for my password. It just goes ahead and does the update. That seems like a potential security hole.