PDA

View Full Version : Online with wine (playing silkroadonline)

pkslot
June 5th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Well i've finally got wine up and running with my first gameinstall, wich is silkroadonline. Silkroad needs an onlineconnection, but wine doesn't seem to let it connect.

Isn't wine able to connect by default, or do i have to install networkdrivers for my d-link wlan in wine too?

Thanks in advance ;)

pkslot
June 6th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Anyone :confused:

mi-kko
July 5th, 2006, 06:48 PM
I want to know too how to run this game with wine or cedega. I have installed it with Cedega and when I start the game it begins to update. After that nothing happens, it just disappears and when I start SRO after that it updates again.

I know that SRO can be played with linux.

http://transgaming.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4751&highlight=silkroad

DiamondX
July 5th, 2006, 07:04 PM
If you look on WineHQ's database, you can see that gameguard doesnt work in wine. If it does work in Cedega, its because of the stuff transgaming added that makes it nonfree (like cd copy-protection support).

Sorry if this post didnt make that much sence, im tired...

LordRaiden
July 5th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Wine supports online connections just fine. Just like DiamondX stated, SRO uses gameguard as does a whole lot of popular MMORPGs to stop hacking. Unfortunately, gameguard uses hooks into Windows and even some hardware information to work (Gameguard is actually considered by some security experts to be a major security risk on Windows). Wine developers have stated in the past that they will not attempt to get Gameguard to work on Wine. As annoying as that is, it's Gameguard's fault for being so unsafe and Windows dependent. Some rumours about a linux version keep cropping about now and then, but there is no *clear* sign that Gameguard developers have any concrete plans.

Some people have even got in touch with Gameguard customer service who end up recommending installing Windows to play.

alvinucsk
January 19th, 2008, 05:50 PM
its works good for me im running silkroad online inwine

Perfect Storm
January 19th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Thread closed due to Necromancing

http://www.imageviper.com/displayimage/82451/0/1114981414_fullres.jpg