PDA

View Full Version : How to hide top panel Unity 11.10

MickSulley
December 14th, 2011, 06:03 PM
I now have Myth running successfully in Ubuntu 11.10 but I cannot get rid of the top panel. I did manage it earlier with this info that I found -

To get it to display without a top border
Install CompizConfig Settings Manager
Navigate to Utility then Workarounds
Enable Legacy Fullscreen Support

But that no longer works! I found a suggestion to make it transparent, but that doesn't help as the Myth window is not full screen, so I see a strip of desktop at the top instead.

Any ideas how to do this?

nickrout
December 14th, 2011, 10:50 PM
I now have Myth running successfully in Ubuntu 11.10 but I cannot get rid of the top panel. I did manage it earlier with this info that I found -

To get it to display without a top border
Install CompizConfig Settings Manager
Navigate to Utility then Workarounds
Enable Legacy Fullscreen Support

But that no longer works! I found a suggestion to make it transparent, but that doesn't help as the Myth window is not full screen, so I see a strip of desktop at the top instead.

Any ideas how to do this?

did you install mythbuntu-desktop?

or get rid of compiz entirely, mythtv does not need a flash window manager.

MickSulley
December 15th, 2011, 10:41 AM
I installed Ubuntu 11.10 clean and then installed MythTV etc on top. I still have Unity desktop.

I did originally try Mythbuntu but had multiple problems with that, getting sound and display to work properly, it seemed that I needed to add so much stuff to get it all to work that Ubuntu made more sense.

nickrout
December 15th, 2011, 07:42 PM
you haven't answered my question.

I'll be clearer

sudo apt-get install mythbuntu-desktop

MickSulley
December 15th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Sorry I misunderstood. No I have not installed Mythbuntu desktop.

Looking at it there are loads of other packages that need to be installed as well, is it likely to fix the problem if I install it? Does that prevent the Unity desktop from working?

williammanda
December 15th, 2011, 10:46 PM
The easiest way to have Mythtv and Ubuntu is to load Mythbuntu control centre. I have 11.10 and used the action you described to get rid of the top panel...I was the one who posted it.

nickrout
December 16th, 2011, 12:02 AM
Looking at it there are loads of other packages that need to be installed as well, which ones?
is it likely to fix the problem if I install it? Does that prevent the Unity desktop from working?One would hope so, you really don't want unity on a myth box.

MickSulley
December 16th, 2011, 01:56 AM
The easiest way to have Mythtv and Ubuntu is to load Mythbuntu control centre. I have 11.10 and used the action you described to get rid of the top panel...I was the one who posted it.

I didn't have Mythbuntu control centre installed, just installed it and it makes no difference, still get the panel at the top of the screen. I also tried disabling legacy fullscreen, then enable it again, plus reboot, still get the panel.
Have you got the latest updates? I am pretty sure this worked until I ran updates a week or so back.