PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Question about Adblock Plus

LWard
December 14th, 2011, 07:48 AM
I'm a new user of Ubuntu 11.10. I've had it on my computer for a little less then a week. All I can say is I'm glad that my hd failed and I didn't have window discs.

Now my question is does Adblock Plus effect video play back on sites such as You Tube or Hulu? I tend to watch videos on You Tube that are paintball and now Ubuntu related. My wife on the other hand likes to watch TV shows on Hulu and Mega Video. I ran across Adblock Plus today and thought it would be nice to have, but didn't want to get a phone call at night while I was at work saying that the wife's shows won't play properly.

Thank you in advance.

vasa1
December 14th, 2011, 08:03 AM
https://adblockplus.org/forum/

LWard
December 14th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Well that helps. I'm assuming seeing that I use Chromium that the Chrome section would be for me. I'll dig around on there site and see what I can come up with.

SlugSlug
December 14th, 2011, 12:03 PM
No it shouldn't effect playback, I've used adblock for years, wouldn't use firefox without it!

LWard
December 14th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the reply SlugSlug. I haven't used firefox in a while. I use to like it a lot and then that dropped off and I started to use Chrome and haven't looked back since. I hate it here at work where I have to use IE7, yes they haven't updated to 8 yet.

Ma5abre
December 14th, 2011, 01:14 PM
I will just echo what SlugSlug said.
I use firefox 8.0 on Ubuntu 10.10 and Adblock has never given me any problems with youtube or dailymotion.

Sometimes video streaming slows right down but I find by clearing my cache normally corrects this.

SeijiSensei
December 14th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Commercial streaming sites like Hulu will complain if you try to watch videos with AdBlock Plus enabled. On some sites (http://www.vizanime.com/ep/2196-four-leaf-clover) the video won't play at all. You can easily solve the problem by right-clicking the ABP stop-sign button in the browser and choosing "Disable on domain.name" then reloading the page. You'll have to display the ads then, of course.

LWard
December 14th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Thank you SeijiSensei, I will have to keep that tip in mind.