PDA

View Full Version : Visual Basic 2010 - Test RDP port

Raventat
December 13th, 2011, 11:47 PM
Hi all,

I am attempting to add functionality into server monitoring software I have developed, however I cant seem to figure out in VB 2010 what the specific coding is to check port 3389 (remote desktop).

Any advice is greatly appreicated,

Thank you!

Zugzwang
December 14th, 2011, 12:23 PM
I am attempting to add functionality into server monitoring software I have developed, however I cant seem to figure out in VB 2010 what the specific coding is to check port 3389 (remote desktop).

You might want to add what you mean by "check" - whether some application is listening, whether you can connect to it, whether some application listening to it actually follows the RDP protocol, etc...

Raventat
December 16th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Hi Zugzwang,

By "check" I mean I want the program to check if the port is open and accepting new connections.

I realize this could be done through telnet, however my goal is to have all of the functions "behind the scenes" so to speak.

Thank you!

Zugzwang
December 18th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Hi Zugzwang,

By "check" I mean I want the program to check if the port is open and accepting new connections.

I realize this could be done through telnet, however my goal is to have all of the functions "behind the scenes" so to speak.

Thank you!

As far as I know, You should find the required information in the MSDN programmer's documentation. The keyword to search for is "socket" or "Winsock" programming. There should be a simple TCP or UDP client example somewhere, which should be easy to adapt to your problem.