PDA

View Full Version : Really cool marketing idea

rjbl
December 13th, 2011, 11:11 PM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/12/13/microsoft_android_malware/

So we can offer a free copy of Ubuntu to anyone tweeting their unhappiness with Win 7?

:D

jjex22
December 14th, 2011, 12:04 AM
To be fair they are giving away phones.. I'm not really up for Canonical paying part of their research budget on new computers because they didn't like Windows.

Hopefully the android virus issue will highlight some of the flaws in the system and dispel that irritating bit of nonsense that's been going around since the early 90's that only windows gets malware - It gets it 'cause it's the largest deployment. Linux avoids the majority for 2 reasons - 1 we aren't that popular yet, and 2 we have a (relatively speaking) incredibly high level of IT knowledge compared to the average.

There is a tiny part of me (trust me it's tiny beyond belief) that feels a bit for MS - for the first time in a decade (ever for home systems) they've actually got a decent, up to date OS out... of course it could be better, but for windows, it's not bad! I shan't defend them too much - their business model is all a bit too Montgomery Burns for that - but I will thank them for Vista - What a boost that gave the Linux community!

there is no perfect option - Linux requires you learn a lot more about the OS than the average user wants, Apple help you and stand by you for three years, then drop you like a rock, and Microsoft have been watching too much highlander - they're more obsessed with "there can be only one" than what that product actually is.

Copper Bezel
December 14th, 2011, 12:32 AM
I would not want to be one of those five announced winners. Being subjected to a Windows phone is bad, but you have to know every one of them will be hit with a series of targeted attacks on the Windows Phone OS for irony's sake.

Mikeb85
December 14th, 2011, 03:25 AM
Android malware isn't really an issue. It's just that some ignorant users installed trojans or keyloggers on their own phones, nothing to worry about if you are smart about the apps you install... And really not equivalent to Windows desktop malware..

WinterMadness
December 14th, 2011, 07:08 AM
To be fair they are giving away phones.. I'm not really up for Canonical paying part of their research budget on new computers because they didn't like Windows.

Hopefully the android virus issue will highlight some of the flaws in the system and dispel that irritating bit of nonsense that's been going around since the early 90's that only windows gets malware - It gets it 'cause it's the largest deployment. Linux avoids the majority for 2 reasons - 1 we aren't that popular yet, and 2 we have a (relatively speaking) incredibly high level of IT knowledge compared to the average.

There is a tiny part of me (trust me it's tiny beyond belief) that feels a bit for MS - for the first time in a decade (ever for home systems) they've actually got a decent, up to date OS out... of course it could be better, but for windows, it's not bad! I shan't defend them too much - their business model is all a bit too Montgomery Burns for that - but I will thank them for Vista - What a boost that gave the Linux community!

there is no perfect option - Linux requires you learn a lot more about the OS than the average user wants, Apple help you and stand by you for three years, then drop you like a rock, and Microsoft have been watching too much highlander - they're more obsessed with "there can be only one" than what that product actually is.

another reason linux tends to avoid viruses is because we have repositories, while windows users tend to get their apps from random places. in addition, most of our software is open source, so a virus isnt very likely

Copper Bezel
December 14th, 2011, 07:11 AM
Oh my. Don't turn this into another discussion of OS security and which OS is "more secure," please. In the interests of this nonproliferation, I'm not going to correct what you just said.

LowSky
December 14th, 2011, 07:21 AM
another reason linux tends to avoid viruses is because we have repositories, while windows users tend to get their apps from random places. in addition, most of our software is open source, so a virus isnt very likely

No, no, no , no-no-no, NO!

Don't go there. Please stop this nonsense!

Ctrl-Alt-F1
December 14th, 2011, 07:23 AM
No, no, no , no-no-no, NO!

Don't go there. Please stop this nonsense!

This.

Erik1984
December 14th, 2011, 09:31 AM
People who manage to get viruses on their smartphones should not be using any operating system :P

ki4jgt
December 14th, 2011, 11:32 AM
I love you guys :-) Please DON'T do this LOL.

On a higher note: I recommend anyone who plans to start this to PLEASE read the definitions of the words you choose to use. That is all. Thanks guys :-)

Paqman
December 14th, 2011, 02:00 PM
So we can offer a free copy of Ubuntu to anyone tweeting their unhappiness with Win 7?

A free one? What do you think we're made of money?!?

WinterMadness
December 14th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Oh my. Don't turn this into another discussion of OS security and which OS is "more secure," please. In the interests of this nonproliferation, I'm not going to correct what you just said.

Who talked about more secure? I simply said why linux users are less likely to get a virus, not that the OS its self is like magical or something.

Linux users are just in a position to avoid viruses, not that they cant get them.

think of it this way:

lets say dell starts to ship software thats like our package manager but for windows, it only contains software that they know if safe. Dell users who stuck to that would likely (very important key word that will be ignored)be in a position to avoid more viruses than the other windows users. This says nothing about windows, only about what happens when one uses repositories.

People in this thread need to read AND comprehend.

PuddingKnife
December 14th, 2011, 06:16 PM
No, you missed the boat. Windows 7 is pretty solid and arguably more customizable than Ubuntu(Unity), currently. It's the first time I've used Windows and not had to throw a fit. This is coming from someone who uses 11.10 at home and Windows 7 at work.