PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] No wireless and no USB sticks

demauk
December 13th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Hi,

I installed xubuntu 11.10 from a USB stick, and after rebooting, the installed xubuntu doesn't recognize my wireless card. There is just no option to enable wireless connections, and iwconfig doesn't find anything. I have a DWA-552 wireless card.

I wanted to try to add a bunch of packages to a USB stick and compile compat-wireless, but USB sticks are not being mounted. It's possible the USB stick is detected and I simply have to mount it by hand, I did not check at the time.

Is there something I can do besides moving my machine closer to my router, so that I can try a wired connection?

Would having the LiveCD in an actual CD help? Maybe I could then use the CD as a repository and simply (re)install the necessary packages?

Thanks.

demauk
December 15th, 2011, 04:12 AM
Well, I ended up reinstalling all of Xubuntu. I think I might have created a bunch of problems for myself by not formatting the / partition the first time around.

Also, letting the "Live" OS load and then launching the installer within it, felt more reassuring than booting directly into the installer.

Edit: I'm not sure if [solved] would be appropriate for this post.