PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] realtek rtl-8169 wifi adapter install

Mikaelm
December 13th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Hi,

Im new to linux and i need help

I have a wifi adapter (usb) for my ubuntu 11.10 server (pc)
but i dont know how to install drivers to have internet connection.

model number is Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet (rev10)

I have a cd with drivers + usb stick with the drivers in (both connected) but i dont really know how to install them.

I have no internet connection because wifi is the only way.

I would really appreciate any help, thanks

Mark Phelps
December 13th, 2011, 04:33 PM
You can't use the software and drivers that came with the adapter because they are for Windows, not for Linux.

Suggest that you browse the Networking forum to see if there are threads there dealing with your wifi adapter.

But, be advised, you will most probably have to download stuff to get the adapater working.

Mikaelm
December 14th, 2011, 03:24 AM
I have the linux drivers in the cd and usb.

dandnsmith
December 14th, 2011, 10:38 AM
If there aren't any (text) files suggesting how to use the linux driver files, then I suggest you post some info (eg a list) about what is there - after all, we cannot guess what you might have.

Mikaelm
December 14th, 2011, 01:08 PM
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QZK5YRSI

You can download it here and look into it.

There is one readme file, but i serously dont understand **** from it.

Mikaelm
December 14th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Readme file says

1. Build up the drivers from the source code
make

2. Install the driver to the kernel
make install
reboot

i dont know how to do first step,
but when i do second step it tells me to install "make"
so i did apt-get install make and it sais package "make has no installation candidate..
this may mean that the package is missing, has been absoleted or is only available from another source.

anyone :) ?

dandnsmith
December 14th, 2011, 04:34 PM
First check that /usr/bin/make exists on your system - if not, then it's probably some difference with the server package, rather than the desktop package. If it isn't there, then you may have to install kernel headers and some other source bits (forgotten which - last time I had to do this was, literally, decades ago) to get the assembly to work.

The instruction make, run in the same directory as the Makefile should do the first bit.

Next you need to do make install, as it says (same directory as Makefile) to install the module.