PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Evolution email on Ubuntu 11.10 help

jaime256
December 12th, 2011, 11:03 PM
I'm trying to install Evolution on 11.10 and using the gnome shell. Unfortunately I can't seem to import my old evolution contact list to thunderbird so I'm trying to install evolution again. When I do, I also get a pop up that states "defcon on ubuntu" when I install this. I also then tried to creat a new account and the window just disappears? Can we install Evolution on 11.10? Also what the heck is defcon? I saw a similar pop up on zorin os, but didn't know what it was either. By the way I'm on the 64 bit distro.

Also, can I uninstall Unity without any problems?

jaime256
December 13th, 2011, 12:10 AM
Well, I couldn't get evolution installed, so tried the next best thing. What program would let me import my .vcf file...I went into the Ubuntu software and found a small program called contacts that let me import this file and get the addresses I needed. I also found kmail which is another email client, but couldn't see anything about contacts on it.
Unfortunately contact is the only one I could find that supports the .vcf file, so the others I tried, although they look nice, I couldn't get this file imported. I've attached the screen shot of the one I used to get my addresses. I like evolution because everything was just there once you open the program. Oh well.

Docaltmed
December 13th, 2011, 12:05 PM
In the past, I've used Google as a neutral platform, because just about everybody connects to it one way or another. So my suggestion would have been to export your contacts to Google, then import them from Google to whatever.

That "defcon" (I actually think it's something else, but the actual letters escape me at the moment) message pops up on Gnome Shell anytime you try to install anything. It's not an error message, I think it's a message saying that the installation succeeded.

jaime256
December 13th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the info. I just want to keep my own contacts on file in case I can't access the mail or anything else and this little program seems to do just that, but I didn't even think of that one. After I uninstalled the mail program things seem to be back to normal.

In the past, I've used Google as a neutral platform, because just about everybody connects to it one way or another. So my suggestion would have been to export your contacts to Google, then import them from Google to whatever.

That "defcon" (I actually think it's something else, but the actual letters escape me at the moment) message pops up on Gnome Shell anytime you try to install anything. It's not an error message, I think it's a message saying that the installation succeeded.