PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 4G RAM on x86/x86-64

thorsten-by
December 12th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Hi,

maybe you may find its a stupid question but i couldnt find a very good answer on my own.

I have an Intel Core2 Duo CPU (E8400 3.00GHz). I was using Ubuntu 10.04 32bit. After the release of oneiric I switched to the 64bit version. In my opinion it should support more than 4G RAM but /proc/cpuinfo reports only 4056296 kB of ram (~3.8GB).

So on a 32bit system i wold install the pae kernel but its not available as a result of broken dependencies.

It would be very nice if anyone could enlighten me with an explanation or a hint where to find an explanation.

tanks,

th

lykwydchykyn
December 12th, 2011, 10:09 PM
A 64 bit kernel will support much much more than 4 Gb of RAM. PAE is a 32-bit technology to allow a 32 bit kernel to use more RAM. It doesn't exist for 64 bit because the kernel natively supports more RAM.

How much RAM is in your machine? Does BIOS detect it correctly?

darkod
December 12th, 2011, 11:06 PM
Usually the onboard graphics uses part of your RAM. In this case that amount is deducted so it shows as if you have less RAM. I believe that's the case for both windows and ubuntu, because the RAM is deducted and allocated to the video at BIOS level.

thorsten-by
December 13th, 2011, 12:29 AM
Thank you for your answers. My BIOS detect the 4GB of ram correctly, thats on of the reasons of my curiosity. I don't have an on-board graphics adapter.

CryptAck
December 13th, 2011, 12:52 AM
Hi,

maybe you may find its a stupid question but i couldnt find a very good answer on my own.

I have an Intel Core2 Duo CPU (E8400 3.00GHz). I was using Ubuntu 10.04 32bit. After the release of oneiric I switched to the 64bit version. In my opinion it should support more than 4G RAM but /proc/cpuinfo reports only 4056296 kB of ram (~3.8GB).

So on a 32bit system i wold install the pae kernel but its not available as a result of broken dependencies.

It would be very nice if anyone could enlighten me with an explanation or a hint where to find an explanation.

tanks,

th

Gigabyte (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte) Wikipeida article. Should help explain.

thorsten-by
December 13th, 2011, 02:59 PM
O... shame on me. I think, I should have guessed that. Thank you.