PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Resolution Mismatch

OutlawStar
December 12th, 2011, 05:50 AM
I am new to this and have decided to give Linux a try. Sadly when I went to install it my TV (which is also my monitor) popped up with "resolution mismatch" Some info about my TV, I can not hook up through VGA, only the HDMI or S-Video (which I don't have a cable at the moment)

So basically I'm wondering if there will be anyway that I can install Linux while using this TV. And does Linux not support HDMI yet?

OutlawStar
December 16th, 2011, 03:24 PM
All right, so I was having trouble installing Ubuntu version 10 (long support) cause I could never get to the install screen because of "Resolution Mismatch". However, just so to let you know, with the new version of Ubuntu 11 I was able to install it.

N00b-un-2
December 16th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Linux does in fact support HDMI. I have an HTPC (Home Theater PC) which I use to connect this way, which I find far better than using standard VGA and the 3.5mm audio jack, for quite a few reasons. I have run into issues on older versions of Linux where I had to manually configure the audio output to use the HDMI instead of defaulting to the onboard sound.
The resolution mismatch means that the signal coming from your computer is out of range for you HD TV screen. Check to see if your TV has an automatic up-scaling effect that can be disabled and it should then be able to see the VGA output. Let me know what happens. Also, do you have an nVidia card or an ATI card?