PDA

View Full Version : Are you dual-booting with Ubuntu and Windows or using just one?

JF382
December 12th, 2011, 01:34 AM
Are you dual-booting with Ubuntu and Windows or using just one?

Linuxratty
December 12th, 2011, 01:45 AM
Just using Ubuntu 10.10. I gave up on Windows years ago...Just tired of the aggravation.

standingwave
December 12th, 2011, 04:54 AM
I did the dual boot thing for the first six months but once I figured out getting Pokerstars to run under Wine, I dumped Windows. If I had a reason to run Windows I would, but I don't. This has been a dedicated Linux box for about three years now.

Primefalcon
December 12th, 2011, 05:05 AM
Just Ubuntu, since 2008... Though I do have multiple Desktops installed such as Gnome Shell, Unity, Mate and LXDE

guyver_dio
December 12th, 2011, 06:27 AM
Everything I need can be run on or has an equivalent in ubuntu so I don't see the need for windows. Only thing I really want to get running is photoshop, I tried gimp but didn't like it, I tried to get my copy of photoshop running under wine but it wasn't working, but I'll figure it out somehow.

CGeek
December 12th, 2011, 06:49 AM
I dual-boot my laptop, for games and other proprietary software that the university requires
And I have windows on virtualbox on my desktop

I rarely use windows though, ubuntu has everything I need....unless someone demands something specific like using MS Project and so forth....but even that can be run on PlayOnLinux

Ctrl-Alt-F1
December 12th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Dual booting with Windows 7 since 11.04 and I have to say that I enjoy my Windows 7 experience more, due to the decision from Gnome to move from Gnome2 to Gnome3 and the subsequent adoption of Unity for Ubuntu.

I must say though that 11.10 was a huge step forward from the last iteration and I look forward to having a fast, efficient, and bug free operating system again.

KiwiNZ
December 12th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I don't Dual Boot, I do use multiple OS's on certain machines using VM Ware.

/b/ryce
December 12th, 2011, 10:57 AM
I have my computer dual-booting Vista and Natty(Thanks Wubi).
Really though, I only need the windows side anymore for gaming and stuff I can't get working with wine, until I figure out how to get it to work flawlessly.

Thewhistlingwind
December 12th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Just Ubuntu.

At this point I'm convinced of Debian's motto. (The universal operating system.)

Great client, Great server, works on a wide range of (even ancient) hardware.

donkyhotay
December 12th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Ubuntu only here, I have one or two games I use through wine but that's pretty much it.

MartijnNL
December 12th, 2011, 04:24 PM
On my main pc, just Ubuntu Lucid. On my server the same. I did get an older pc earlier this year from someone, which contained a licensed Vista. I created a dual boot install with ubuntu server for that one. Decided to keep the vista for testing purposes, but have hardly used the computer since.

At work I have to use XP, but I have a second computer with xubuntu, asn a testserver running Ubuntu and Oracle database (we use oracle in our production environment).

malspa
December 12th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Multi-booting only Linux distros. I don't use Windows at all at home.

t.rei
December 12th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Still using the overprices games-loader every now and then... (that means, I do have a windows install just for games)

Linuxratty
December 12th, 2011, 04:52 PM
I did the dual boot thing for the first six months but once I figured out getting Pokerstars to run under Wine, I dumped Windows. If I had a reason to run Windows I would, but I don't. This has been a dedicated Linux box for about three years now.

Yeah,I duel booted for awhile so I could play Cubis2..When I made 30 million on it,I decided that was enough and dumped XP.

BTW, LinuxInternationals has poker every Sat. afternoon.
Check us out.

desnaike
December 15th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Have been windows free since 2006.

Dual boot Kubuntu 11.10/Fedora 15 gnome3.

BrokenKingpin
December 15th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Linux only, on all of my computers. Now thinking about it, I have Xubuntu installed on all of them (5 in total). I might switch one out to try the latest Kubuntu though.

mamamia88
December 15th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Been working on a group report in college with a bunch of embedded charts and stuff from excel in a word document. They don't show up properly in open office and when I save and send it to someone else the formatting is way off. It's just easier to boot windows and use office 2010. That being said took my last final yesterday so I have no real reason to use windows anymore. Think I'll keep it on there anyway since I have way more hard drive space than I actually use.

insane_alien
December 15th, 2011, 07:26 PM
i have a windows partition but i haven't booted it up in months. I only need it very rarely and usually for the proprietry software installed on it.

i also have a XP virtual machine (legal, it is licensed) for messing about in but again, haven't booted it in months nothing i need in there.

tersogar
December 15th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Just Linux.Have everything I need.

3Miro
December 15th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Various Linux distribution, no windows needed.

Simian Man
December 15th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I use Windows only now. It's so nice to be free of the aggravation. I do have a Linux VM for the things I do that need Linux though.

baizon
December 15th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Using only Xubuntu, no dual-boot :)

Frogs Hair
December 16th, 2011, 02:51 AM
Currently dual boot with Win 7 . I don't know if Win 8 is in the future or not it depends on my needs at that time . I haven't had any bad experiences with Windows on my home computer and have never had a choice of operating systems in any work situation .

weasel fierce
December 16th, 2011, 06:46 AM
No dual-boot. Went Ubuntu with Hoary Hedgehog and never looked back :)

It's Kubuntu now, but that doesn't really matter.

yiannis66
December 16th, 2011, 06:49 AM
4 years now with only ubuntu (I have try lots of linux)
very happy with that.

viperdvman
December 16th, 2011, 07:22 AM
On both computers, I'm dual-booting Windows and Ubuntu. On the desktop, I dual-boot WinXP and Ubuntu 11.04 (with a third unused partition for running trial Linux OS's) On the netbook, I dual-boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu 11.10.

I still have use for Windows, so I keep it around... mainly for Photoshop (haven't tried CS3 on Wine yet) and some online games that Wine doesn't play well with. However, on both computers, I use Ubuntu FAR more than I use Windows. :)

mario022
December 16th, 2011, 08:14 AM
11.10 here, the one and only.. :D this is my 1st time using linux and i love it ;)
a lot of them look like (bec of theme) windows 7 and other but i want to change all,
i format HDD and put Ubuntu after few days Live USB test ... :)

So idk nothing but i love it :) and google is mine best friend next to ubuntuforums ;)

Till now i never run linux and i use wind xp or w7

Jerry41
December 19th, 2011, 06:59 AM
I've been using Linux (mostly Ubuntu) for about five years and Linux only for a bit over a year. So far I have kept Ubuntu 10.04 while playing with various other distros (presently openSuse 12.1)
I've tried Ubuntu 11.10 & given up on it, & am beginning to think I may settle on openSuse for a while.

Docaltmed
December 19th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Ubuntu only, both at home and at work. I keep an XP VM around for one program that is supplied by one of my vendors and that I cannot install via Wine. I called tech support about it, but they no habla Linux.

DougieFresh4U
December 19th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Triple boot here:
Ubuntu
Debian
Windows 7
I enjoy my Windows 7, have never had an issue with it
and been using it since beta.
That being said, I also jump around between partitions
just for fun.:P
Also, I have a game I purchased about 6 years ago and
I used to get it to work via WINE when I was using Edgy
and Feisty but on more recent Ubuntu/WINE installs it's
a no go.

t0p
December 19th, 2011, 09:34 PM
My everyday desktop pc carries "just" Ubuntu - I write "just" because I've got a virtual XP in VirtualBox to operate my printer (HP Deskjet D2660, which is supposed to work with Ubuntu but no one's told Ubuntu that yet).

My netbook runs just Lubuntu; I haven't felt the need to put anything else on it yet.

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 19th, 2011, 10:53 PM
I stopped dual booting years ago. I discovered virtualization. I use VirtualBox, VMware, KVM, etc., to run operating systems as virtual machines.

Dr. Moreau
December 19th, 2011, 11:09 PM
My personal netbook runs Fuduntu, which I dearly love, and sometimes Puppy from an SD card. I use Windows at my workplace so's to keep things compatible with my office mates, and so I can download files from some mapping equipment that's Windows-only. The sub-meter GPS runs Windows Mobile and the laser transit runs WinCE (wince, wince...). I dual-boot my main work computer with W7 and Kubuntu 11.10, and my old desktop work computer has XP on one drive and, at the moment, I'm test-driving Arch on the other.

So some days are Linux days and some days are Windows. I always seem to feel better at the end of a Linux day. Anyone else notice that?

CharlesA
December 19th, 2011, 11:35 PM
I stopped dual booting years ago. I discovered virtualization. I use VirtualBox, VMware, KVM, etc., to run operating systems as virtual machines.
How do you like KVM? I'm looking toward migrating to it, but I'm still unsure about it.

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 20th, 2011, 12:10 AM
How do you like KVM? I'm looking toward migrating to it, but I'm still unsure about it.

I didn't interact with KVM directly. I was using Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud (UEC) at home. At the time, UEC ran on top of KVM by default. I have only used VMware and VirtualBox natively. I use VMware at work and VirtualBox at home.

CharlesA
December 20th, 2011, 12:19 AM
I didn't interact with KVM directly. I was using Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud (UEC) at home. At the time, UEC ran on top of KVM by default. I have only used VMware and VirtualBox natively. I use VMware at work and VirtualBox at home.
Ah, gotcha.

I'm using VBox now, but I am looking to move to KVM or Xen, but I still need to figure out how to configure them first.

Thanks!

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 20th, 2011, 12:28 AM
I'm using VBox now, but I am looking to move to KVM or Xen, but I still need to figure out how to configure them first.

I have thought about running UEC with CentOS and Xen. I just haven't found a practical use for UEC on my home computers. It would be great if I had thin-clients; however, my computers are rather capable stand-alone.

Using UEC was a great learning experience.

mbuell
December 20th, 2011, 12:32 AM
I dual boot. And there are many many reasons why I keep Windows. Since XP, imho, Windows is as good as, and better than, Linux in some respects. I still hate the proprietary "We are god" crap - but I see that on both sides.

I love the security of Linux, and the technical superiority - but for most of the programs I use, Windows has superior offerings. This includes all the Office suite on either side, scheduling programs, and GIS programs. Open/Libre Office are damn good - 90-95% of functionality of MS Office - but I use that 10%.

So, why dual boot instead of VM? WHY take the VM performance hit? I do not understand it. But, it takes all kinds.

hackb0y294
December 20th, 2011, 12:40 AM
Yes, Ubuntu 11.04 and Windows 7 at present. I've been phasing Windows out though, so I'll hopefully soon be free! :p

CharlesA
December 20th, 2011, 12:54 AM
I have thought about running UEC with CentOS and Xen. I just haven't found a practical use for UEC on my home computers. It would be great if I had thin-clients; however, my computers are rather capable stand-alone.

Nice. I'm trying to see if CentOS with either KVM or Xen will work for me. Process separation sort of thing.

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 20th, 2011, 01:24 AM
...Process separation sort of thing.

If I understand you correctly, that is what we do at work. We have many processes spread across the physical servers using VMs; such as, LDAP, Active Directory, 389, DNS, FTP, email, etc., VMs. Using VMware's High Availability on the clustered hosts, we can increase the reliability of the systems. :)

CharlesA
December 20th, 2011, 01:26 AM
If I understand you correctly, that is what we do at work. We have many processes spread across servers; such as, LDAP, Active Directory, 389, DNS, FTP, email, etc. Using VMware's High Availability on the clustered hosts, we can increase the reliability of the systems. :)
Aye. That would be it. It's only a home server, but I just want to play around with it.

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 20th, 2011, 01:40 AM
Aye. That would be it. It's only a home server, but I just want to play around with it.

I couldn't or wouldn't pay for VMware's vSphere for my home self education. I learned a lot of the fundamentals from using Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud. I have read that it works with Xen these days.

Enjoy!

CharlesA
December 20th, 2011, 01:44 AM
I couldn't or wouldn't pay for VMware's vSphere for my home self education. I learned a lot of the fundamentals from using Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud. I have read that it works with Xen these days.

Enjoy!
Yeah, I wouldn't use vSphere, probably going to go with Xen, but I'm kind of on the fence between the two.

Triblaze
December 20th, 2011, 02:36 AM
Dual-boot, Windows for gaming, Ubuntu for everything else.

jwbrase
December 20th, 2011, 04:08 AM
This machine is a System76 laptop single-booting Ubuntu, my other machine dual boots Vector Linux and FreeDOS, and the family desktop single-boots XP (it dual-booted Ubuntu on an external drive when I was first trying it out).

wolfen69
December 20th, 2011, 06:55 AM
I have windows installed on another drive, but I have not touched it in over 8 months. I have no use for windows. But because I fix computers, I'm no stranger to windows.

MoonLitOwl
December 20th, 2011, 06:57 AM
Dual-boot, Windows for gaming, Ubuntu for everything else.

Im doing that now. Was gonna get rid of Windows but need it to play SWTOR. =P

yetiman64
December 20th, 2011, 07:17 AM
Dual booting multiple Linuxes only, no Windows at all any more.

2 Xubuntu Natty installs (one based on the minimal cd), 1 Mint11, 1 Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric (Mainly use this now), + room for 2 more installs, one is reserved for Debian 6 Wheezy when I can get an installer to work with my network hardware.

Edit: I don't go in for gaming much anymore so Windows works fine for me as a VM guest in virtualbox, on the rare occasions I need to run a specific Windows only program.

kurt18947
December 20th, 2011, 08:22 AM
I dual boot. There are a few tasks that I know no practical way to accomplish in Linux. I have an uncommon brand GPS (Pioneer) that uses a Windows app to create and copy POI databases to an SD card. The more popular GPSs, Garmin & TomTom have Linux apps to accomplish this. I find it more practical to simply maintain a Windows partition for this infrequent use. Another example is upgrading printer firmware. The utility was windows based. Why spend hours or days figuring out how to accomplish a (probably) one-time 2 minute task?

1roxtar
December 20th, 2011, 03:50 PM
I have been Windows free on my hardware since Ubuntu 9.04. I only use Windows at work, but I have Win 7 on Virtualbox to watch Netflix from my Chrome browser. I can't wait for Netflix on Chrome to finally hit Linux.

cloyd
December 20th, 2011, 05:53 PM
My netbook is all Ubuntu. My better laptop still has Windows Vista. Rarely used. The other day, I had some epub books I wanted to share with my wife. I read them on an android phone, she has an iPhone. I had to install iTunes on my Windows partition to share the books with here. If it weren't for things like this, I would have been 100% Windows free long agon.

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 20th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't use vSphere, probably going to go with Xen, but I'm kind of on the fence between the two.

If you use VMware's vCenter to manage the VMs on vSphere ESXi it is only supported on Windows 64-bit. You can run vCenter as a VM on ESXi; however, it isn't easy to find the administrator manuals for setting it up like that. If you are trying to learn about virtualizing a datacenter then VMware is a good choice; however, if you are trying to learn about distributing infrastructure applications across VMs; then, Xen will probably provide all that you want.

CharlesA
December 20th, 2011, 07:11 PM
If you use VMware's vCenter to manage the VMs on vSphere ESXi it is only supported on Windows 64-bit. You can run vCenter as a VM on ESXi; however, it isn't easy to find the administrator manuals for setting it up like that. If you are trying to learn about virtualizing a datacenter then VMware is a good choice; however, if you are trying to learn about distributing infrastructure applications across VMs; then, Xen will probably provide all that you want.
Whoops. I probably should have said that I was on the fence between Xen and KVM. I don't really want to even touch ESXi.

We have an ESXi server at work and it's been a major pain in the butt to even do backups of the VMs.

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 20th, 2011, 07:30 PM
I have an uncommon brand GPS (Pioneer) that uses a Windows app to create and copy POI databases to an SD card. The more popular GPSs, Garmin & TomTom have Linux apps to accomplish this.

I have a TomTom GPS. Can you point me to the Linux apps for updating it. I haven't been able to find anything for Linux. Ironically, TomTom use a Linux OS and yet I have to use Windows to update the maps :)

Thanks

keithpeter
December 20th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Hello All

I have a T60 Thinkpad with Win7 on it for Office 2010, and a Desktop PC that dual boots Debian Squeeze/DWM and Ubuntu 11.10. There is also a netbook that runs Ubuntu 11.10

Now, my employer makes a Citrix 'home desktop' available for remote use so I can use Office and print to the network printers from the Win7 laptop. I'm going to try

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CitrixICAClientHowTo

then it will be goodbye windows on my hardware as I can then use a remote desktop with Office, Adobe suite and MS Project when I need to...

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 20th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Whoops. I probably should have said that I was on the fence between Xen and KVM. I don't really want to even touch ESXi.

This thread seems to be about "what works for you". For some single boot works, others dual boot works, and then again virtualization works for others. Xen and KVM both have their strengths and weaknesses. I wish you the best in finding out which one works best for your needs.

I've read your signature BTW :)

CharlesA
December 20th, 2011, 08:09 PM
This thread seems to be about "what works for you". For some single boot works, others dual boot works, and then again virtualization works for others. Xen and KVM both have their strengths and weaknesses. I wish you the best in finding out which one works best for your needs.

I've read your signature BTW :)
Aye. Using whatever works best for you is the best way to go. ;)

I'm still working on comparing the two, but I have a feeling that I will just have to install KVM then install Xen on two boxes and see what happens.

mamamia88
December 20th, 2011, 10:21 PM
My netbook is all Ubuntu. My better laptop still has Windows Vista. Rarely used. The other day, I had some epub books I wanted to share with my wife. I read them on an android phone, she has an iPhone. I had to install iTunes on my Windows partition to share the books with here. If it weren't for things like this, I would have been 100% Windows free long agon.

you can't get around that in anyway? maybe jailbreaking her phone? there is no way to drag and drop onto the iphone via file browser? no way to email them as an attachment where she can download on her phone?

bplzip
December 20th, 2011, 10:31 PM
On the laptop Vista, Oneiric and Precise; was going to stick with Lucid til support ended, but I gave Oneiric a try and liked it!!

On wife's 8 year old Desktop I have XP and Oneiric (with LXDE). Unity was a little slow, so I installed LXDE and am pleased with its performance.

cloyd
December 21st, 2011, 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloyd http://ubuntuforums.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11552193#post11552193)

you can't get around that in anyway? maybe jailbreaking her phone? there is no way to drag and drop onto the iphone via file browser? no way to email them as an attachment where she can download on her phone?

There may be a way. I couldn't find a decent file browser for the thing (iPhone) that didn't require jailbreaking . . . and it is my wife's phone, not mine. Most likely I won't be jailbreaking it, though, I will probably eventually root the android. I think any good marriage counselor would recomend that I not mess with the innards of my wife's computer or phone.

phill_nz
December 21st, 2011, 01:30 AM
last year i had to stop using my karmic as isp no longer supported linux logon .
just installed ubuntu 11 .x as now have broadband

not at all impressed
so disappointed im finding another . shame as i have loved it since feisty fawn
to me it just looks like microdicks designed it

no shortcuts . tell me what you like . i know when it takes me twice the time and 5 times the frustration to find and open something