PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Applications do not launch in Kubuntu 11.10

ze_iliasgr
December 11th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Hello all!
After the GNOME 3 changes I've started using Kubuntu more often having Unity, Gnome panel and KDE on the same system.
However, without any notable events or changes in my system, many applications do not launch in KDE. When clicking on an icon a box appears in task manager widget as normal but the application GUI never appears and the box disappears after a while. Also, the hard disk doesn't seem to work.
Some of them are google chrome, firefox, ubuntu software center, empathy, transmission bittorrent client, brasero, gwibber and hopefully many more which never happened to use them so far.
Most of them appear to be Gnome applications however I saw that some of them do launch like Gparted and Synaptics.
Also, I can not log in to unity and gnome. I think that these problems are related because they appeared more or less on the same period however I haven't really searched a solution for this problem and I don't expect a solution here. The first problem is more important now ;)

inobe
December 12th, 2011, 03:05 AM
what do you mean same system, you switch between in sessions?

if that is true, this explains why everything went wrong, running kubuntu solo from a fresh install will provide two things, stability and reliability.

running ubuntu and kubuntu together is not the best method if you don't want stuff to go terribly wrong!

ze_iliasgr
December 12th, 2011, 11:16 PM
I mean that I had installed Ubuntu with Gnome some years ago. Then I installed kubuntu using synaptics. I used to switch between DEs depending on the work I had to do and the my mood. Everything worked fine even after upgrades. Now some applications don't launch on KDE.