PDA

View Full Version : Sony Recovery Disc?

JF382
December 11th, 2011, 11:41 PM
This thread has been solved.

KiwiNZ
December 11th, 2011, 11:58 PM
The Recovery DVD's can be created from the Sony utilities included with the device. It kakes around 40 minutes and usually 3 DVD's. It's simple and costs only the cost of 3 DVD's.

JF382
December 12th, 2011, 12:04 AM
The Recovery DVD's can be created from the Sony utilities included with the device. It kakes around 40 minutes and usually 3 DVD's. It's simple and costs only the cost of 3 DVD's.

That program froze on me every time it got to the second disc burning. I ran out of DVDs, because they were DVD R and were not even my discs. Then I tried to use the discs that were mine, and were RWs, and it told me invalid disc is inserted. It was NOT simple at all. I gave up.

KiwiNZ
December 12th, 2011, 12:06 AM
Did you log that as a fault whilst under warranty?

coffeecat
December 12th, 2011, 12:14 AM
That program froze on me every time it got to the second disc burning. I ran out of DVDs, because they were DVD R and were not even my discs. Then I tried to use the discs that were mine, and were RWs, and it told me invalid disc is inserted. It was NOT simple at all. I gave up.

You were unlucky. Between machines belonging to friends and my own I've experience of four different Sony Vaio laptops, and each burnt sets of recovery DVDs without issue. The same on HP, Acer and Samsung laptops, either my own or of friends that I was helping, so this system of the owner needing to burn a set of recovery DVDs is not restricted to Sony.

You could argue that the manufacturers are penny pinching by not including sets of pressed DVDs, but I don't follow your argument that this situation will drive people to Linux.

Dr. C
December 12th, 2011, 01:11 AM
You were unlucky. Between machines belonging to friends and my own I've experience of four different Sony Vaio laptops, and each burnt sets of recovery DVDs without issue. The same on HP, Acer and Samsung laptops, either my own or of friends that I was helping, so this system of the owner needing to burn a set of recovery DVDs is not restricted to Sony.

You could argue that the manufacturers are penny pinching by not including sets of pressed DVDs, but I don't follow your argument that this situation will drive people to Linux.

I agree these policies of Microsoft and its OEMs do not drive people to GNU / Linux. What they are doing is drive people to throw out perfectly good computers after two years or less.

The average lifespan of computers in developed countries has dropped from six years in 1997 to just two years in 2005.http://www.greenpeace.org/international/en/campaigns/toxics/electronics/the-e-waste-problem/

KiwiNZ
December 12th, 2011, 02:55 AM
I agree these policies of Microsoft and its OEMs do not drive people to GNU / Linux. What they are doing is drive people to throw out perfectly good computers after two years or less.

http://www.greenpeace.org/international/en/campaigns/toxics/electronics/the-e-waste-problem/

This is related how?

Dr. C
December 12th, 2011, 03:16 AM
This is related how?

Because if the hard drive fails and the user did not buy the disks or go through the disk creation process initially the simplest option for a consumer is more often than not to buy a new computer.

Try getting recovery media from an OEM or Microsoft for a computer older than three years.

inobe
December 12th, 2011, 03:19 AM
This is probably where most will just go right off to, Ubuntu or another Linux Distro or some sort. What is your opinions?

i guess it depends on the individual.

ultimately it's a matter of choice and no individual should be forced into something.

personally when i buy a laptop, i take out the hard drive and stick it in the closet and replace it a linux drive, simply because i could care less what's on it unless i need it, i don't need it, however when i decide to sell the system i put it back

KiwiNZ
December 12th, 2011, 03:28 AM
Because if the hard drive fails and the user did not buy the disks or go through the disk creation process initially the simplest option for a consumer is more often than not to buy a new computer.

Try getting recovery media from an OEM or Microsoft for a computer older than three years.

The OEM cannot be blamed if the user does not foll what is recommended. If have set up new HP and Sony machines and they both prompt the user to create recovery disc's.

I recently needed to fix a friends HP Laptop from circa 2007 and was able to obtain a replacement set of discs from HP, there was a nominal cost to cover the media and shipping.

Dr. C
December 12th, 2011, 04:01 AM
The OEM cannot be blamed if the user does not foll what is recommended. If have set up new HP and Sony machines and they both prompt the user to create recovery disc's.

I recently needed to fix a friends HP Laptop from circa 2007 and was able to obtain a replacement set of discs from HP, there was a nominal cost to cover the media and shipping.

I agree that the OEM or Microsoft cannot be blamed by a user that does not follow the recommended instructions but that OEM and Microsoft can be very much be blamed by a third party for having polices that encourage the creation of ewaste.

I have set up computers with OEM Windows and done the disk recovery setup. In fact I recently purchased an HP Laptop that came with Windows 7 recovery media. Extending the life of an OEM Windows computer is not difficult to do if one knows how to go about it. The sad reality however is that the vast majority of consumers do not have access to the experienced computer professionals in this community.

The figure I quoted from Greenpeace is an average figure of two years. For each computer that a member of this community gets to last say six years three more computers end up as ewaste after only eight months!

KiwiNZ
December 12th, 2011, 05:17 AM
I agree that the OEM or Microsoft cannot be blamed by a user that does not follow the recommended instructions but that OEM and Microsoft can be very much be blamed by a third party for having polices that encourage the creation of ewaste.

I have set up computers with OEM Windows and done the disk recovery setup. In fact I recently purchased an HP Laptop that came with Windows 7 recovery media. Extending the life of an OEM Windows computer is not difficult to do if one knows how to go about it. The sad reality however is that the vast majority of consumers do not have access to the experienced computer professionals in this community.

The figure I quoted from Greenpeace is an average figure of two years. For each computer that a member of this community gets to last say six years three more computers end up as ewaste after only eight months!

what is the policy you are referring to? providing newer and improved versions?

Dr. C
December 12th, 2011, 05:27 AM
what is the policy you are referring to? providing newer and improved versions?

Software licensing restrictions between Microsoft and OEMs

KiwiNZ
December 12th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Software licensing restrictions between Microsoft and OEMs

And that makes people buy more PC's??????????????????????????

LowSky
December 12th, 2011, 01:56 PM

LOL. As someone who has done PC fixing, some people have no idea of the recovery disks/partition their PC may come with. They also know nothing of running disk defrag, proper virus protection, or fixing recovery issues. It's still amazing when someone says their PC is slowing down.

To the OP see if you can order the disks from Sony. My new HP gave me that option and I took them on it. $16 and I got a copy of Windows and the HP bloatware my PC came with. I rather a pressed DVD than a burnt one, and for the price versus my time I saw $16 as a decent bargain for maybe 1-2 hours of burning disks. Be plus since I want to get an SSD for it sometime down the road and don't want to clone the drive and have a mess of registry related issues.

Dr. C
December 12th, 2011, 03:24 PM

Of course it does. The more obstacles that are placed in front of someone fixing their PC, the greater the chance they will buy a new one.

KiwiNZ
December 12th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Of course it does. The more obstacles that are placed in front of someone fixing their PC, the greater the chance they will buy a new one.

Nonsense, the recovery partition/Discs make it easier for the average consumer to recover their PC.

If you wish to lay blame on any one sector that would be gamers and game manufacturers.

LowSky
December 13th, 2011, 05:13 AM
Nonsense, the recovery partition/Discs make it easier for the average consumer to recover their PC.

If you wish to lay blame on any one sector that would be gamers and game manufacturers.

I have never met one person who knew how to use the recovery partition or the disks. Most people lose the disks at least when I ask if they have them. Oh and those recovery partitions They wouldn't know what to press during during the boot process.

The way many bad PC users live is like this:

Yeah my new PC is so fast! > Sure I want to know more about a free iPad! > Why do all these pop ups happen? > My PC says I have a virus, let me click on this other link to fix things! > Wait now things are worse! > Ugg! > I'll just live with this until I can afford a new one!

JF382
December 14th, 2011, 01:17 AM
I have never met one person who knew how to use the recovery partition or the disks. Most people lose the disks at least when I ask if they have them. Oh and those recovery partitions They wouldn't know what to press during during the boot process.

The way many bad PC users live is like this:

Yeah my new PC is so fast! > Sure I want to know more about a free iPad! > Why do all these pop ups happen? > My PC says I have a virus, let me click on this other link to fix things! > Wait now things are worse! > Ugg! > I'll just live with this until I can afford a new one!

Yup, I agree one hundred percent. All it takes is for someone like that to click one pop up and they will believe they need a whole new computer.