PDA

View Full Version : whats a good computer for .... ?

ahmedsmot
December 11th, 2011, 06:41 PM
guys im gonna buy a new computer so i want to know what to buy and how much of :
ram and ......
i have 2 questions :
1) what is processor and what it dose ? and what its kinds and defrences?
2) what is ram and what it dose ?
----------------------------------------------------------------
about me as a user ?
i'm an internet user and interested in programming and Operating systems so what i need in a computer is be fast on internet and fast the operating system like open alot things at the same time and this kind of stuff .
by the way i want a computer wich i dont have to make it better always i mean dont buy new one again i want a details of a copmuter wich will work for about 1 year or more :
- as an example, i want a computer wich ubuntu next version will work fast and good

thanks for reading, sorry for writing alot.

CryptAck
December 11th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Since you are looking for a good Ubuntu computer, I'd recommend taking a look at System76 (http://www.system76.com/).

Frogs Hair
December 11th, 2011, 07:02 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_processing_unit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random-access_memory

oldos2er
December 11th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Not an Ubuntu support question, moved to Community Cafe.

dFlyer
December 11th, 2011, 07:07 PM
You will get hundreds of replies about computers. I use a dell studio 1735. As far a ram go get as much as you can afford at least 4 gig with a 32 bit system and pae kernel and on a 64 bit system 8+ gig. For hard drive depends on what you store and how much space you need, 1tb is a nice start.

Megaptera
December 11th, 2011, 07:24 PM
.... and how much space you need, 1tb is a nice start.

... and buy an additional external hard drive as well to make frequent & regular backups just in case ... :p

dcsoldschool53
December 11th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Here are two Youtube videos that may answer your question.

All about the processor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOvNcBz6mfc

All about temporary memory
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bC02EJxLyA

Ricx94
December 12th, 2011, 03:49 AM
I apologize for what i posted here.
~Ricx94

mips
December 12th, 2011, 07:40 AM
Firstly, what is your budget and where are you located?

I'm not going to answer your questions but will instead make some recommendations.

Processor: Intel i5 2500k or better would be good.
Motherboard: Intel P67 or Z68 based chipset MB would be good.
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 560 Ti GPU or better would be good but probably overkill unless you intend gaming.
Memory: 4-8GB
Storage: 64GB SSD would be good, 128GB even better. Ideal OS drive.

The above should last you a good number of years but it all depends on your budget ;)

guys im gonna buy a new computer so i want to know what to buy and how much of :
ram and ......

----------------------------------------------------------------
about me as a user ?
i'm an internet user and interested in programming and Operating systems so what i need in a computer is be fast on internet and fast the operating system like open alot things at the same time and this kind of stuff .
by the way i want a computer wich i dont have to make it better always i mean dont buy new one again i want a details of a copmuter wich will work for about 1 year or more :
- as an example, i want a computer wich ubuntu next version will work fast and good

thanks for reading, sorry for writing alot.

TheNosh
December 12th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Windows cannot make full use of an awesome processor and lots of RAM, but ubuntu can.

Um... What?

ViperChief
December 12th, 2011, 08:21 AM
as far as RAM (Random Access Memory), more is better (as always), and 4 GB has become standard nowadays. Ram is something, though, that can easily be upgraded, whereas a processor is not, especially in a laptop. keep in mind that you must install a 64-bit version of an operating system to be able to use more than 4 GB of RAM. 32-bit can use up to 4, 64-bit can use way more than that (I'm not sure how much).

Please don't spread lies. You can use 32 bit OS with >4GB. It's called PAE.

Windows cannot make full use of an awesome processor and lots of RAM, but ubuntu can.

[citation needed]

Please don't spread lies and that's all this statement is. You wouldn't like it if MS said the reverse of that as neither way would be true.

KiwiNZ
December 12th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Please don't spread lies. You can use 32 bit OS with >4GB. It's called PAE.

Correct

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension

KiwiNZ
December 12th, 2011, 08:44 AM

It does not do ubuntu or any Linux Distro any favors making false statements with regards to capabilities.

lolpenguin
December 12th, 2011, 09:36 AM
For basic, 'net-browsing, word processing and other low-power activities, 2GiB of RAM and an Intel Core i3 or equivalent is just right. For more intensive activities, such as gaming, video editing, you might need a Core i5/i7/equivalent, and 4+GiB of RAM, and a decent graphics card. But really, have it meet your needs, avoid spending too much, don't buy outdated products (such as 1st gen Intel core, DDR/DDR2 RAM, old motherborads, etc), and don't get exited and buy the most juiciest components you can find (unless you actually need them).

LowSky
December 12th, 2011, 10:14 AM
If all you need is internet use. Even today's cheapest computers can handle the task. If you plan to start writing code it may help explaining what kind of code, especially if you plan to use the PC as a test bed too.

Right now I would suggest any computer with at least 4GB of RAM. Any less and the manufacturer is ripping you off. RAM is cheap.

Processor wise its all up to you. Everyone has so far suggested Intel, but AMD makes great products too. I just got a great deal on a HP laptop with a A8-3500M processor. I have not tried Ubuntu or any form of Linux on it yet, but the thing is pretty decent on Windows 7. Any processor you get will work great these days. You really can't make a bad choice.

You don't say if you want a laptop or a desktop, but if you spend more than $600 you wont see any benefit for internet use or word processing.