PDA

View Full Version : Anything better than google search?

mauvebic
December 11th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Seems the post install tweaking is getting longer and longer (distro-agnostic). And it seems it mostly has to do with google's results getting worse and worse. Lately all i get are old threads and tutorials, and you dont always see how old they are right away, so you get halfway through a tutorial, installed and configured all this crap that probably won't work because it's outdated, etc.
I've even tried adding "2011" to all my searches, but alas, it just puts distro reviews at the top lol.

Am i doing it wrong? is there some secret handshake i should be passing to google to get the most relevant (and up-to-date) information possible? or have the wise moved on to a better search engine?

CryptAck
December 11th, 2011, 05:28 PM
I personally use Google search for all my searching needs.

I would recommend the following,

Try appending the Linux distribution and version to the search criteria
After the results are returned, use the filtering options (on the left side) to help further reduce the result set
Use of the "*" wildcard (without quotes) can be very useful
site: can be used to focus results on a specific website

Best I have for now. I hope it helps! :)

Lars Noodén
December 11th, 2011, 05:31 PM
You can try looking at Duckduckgo (http://duckduckgo.com/) or YaCy (http://yacy.net/en/). YaCy is decentralized and distributed. It has a lot of potential.

mauvebic
December 11th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Versions number are fine when you have them :P but rolling releases tend to be trickier. Despite that though, google tends to ignore certain keywords if other keywords generate more results :s

BrokenKingpin
December 12th, 2011, 09:31 PM
DuckDuckGo seems pretty decent, but I just can't get used to it though. I think I have been staring at Google search results for so long my brain gets confused when it is in a different format.

Google works fine for me, and I use gmail and Google Calendar, so it is just convenient to use Google as my home page.

tersogar
December 12th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Duckduckgo works for me and does not use algorithm like google.

Simian Man
December 12th, 2011, 09:38 PM
More Search Tools->Past Year (or less).