PDA

View Full Version : YAY! Java no longer sucks... as much!

Primefalcon
December 11th, 2011, 06:06 AM
Since Java is no longer included in the Ubuntu repo's due to the change is Java's licence and I needed the latest version and had to manually install anyhow, I took the opportunity to install the latest V7 release.

And finally I don't don't to use the pulseaudio wrapper for it.... it uses pulse audio by default now! YAY!!!!!

FuturePilot
December 11th, 2011, 06:34 AM
I've never had an issue with PulseAudio and Java. *shrug*

Primefalcon
December 11th, 2011, 06:44 AM
I've never had an issue with PulseAudio and Java. *shrug*
ever played a heavy java game like runescape?

FuturePilot
December 11th, 2011, 07:48 PM
ever played a heavy java game like runescape?

Minecraft. Never had an issue with sound.

kostkon
December 11th, 2011, 08:25 PM
OpenJDK works fine with PulseAudio, Sun Java didn't or still doesn't, I am not sure.

Primefalcon
December 11th, 2011, 09:06 PM
OpenJDK tends to be overly laggy for me, were as Sun Java isn't so... I honestly would prefer to use OpenJDK since I loathe Oracle... however I love Runescape too much....

Sun Java 6 (current stable) does not work with Pulseaudio
Sun Java 7 (beta) does work perfectly with Pulseaudio

You can use the pulseaudip wrapper or padp make anything go through pulseaudio however it is kind of a hack.... Actually for reference I'll just explain it for the people who don't know how to do it....

Since you locate for example where the Java Executable is (easier if you manually installed it since well it's wherever you extracted it to....)and basically rename it to say... java.bin instead of java

and then create another executable text file there called java and simply have the following

#!/bin/bash
padp "/location/to/java/executable" "$@"

However once version 7 is released proper this hack will no longer be necessary, however Wine still needs it :-(

Dragonbite
December 12th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Isn't Oracle trying to force people to use (and improve where it lacks) OpenJDK instead of their Java?

Kimm
December 12th, 2011, 04:24 PM
However once version 7 is released proper this hack will no longer be necessary, however Wine still needs it :-(

Usually its not necessary for wine either! if you install pulseaudio-esound-compat (PulseAudio ESD compatibility layer) and configure wine to use ESD instead of Alsa, wine will use PulseAudio.

BrokenKingpin
December 12th, 2011, 08:45 PM
hmmm, can't remember the last time I used a Java application. Not that I have anything against Java or avoid Java applications, I guess I just haven't come across one lately that I need to use.

Roasted
December 12th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Isn't Oracle trying to force people to use (and improve where it lacks) OpenJDK instead of their Java?

Really? Why would they do that? Are they wanting to get people on OpenJDK to someday offload Java??

Dragonbite
December 13th, 2011, 06:19 AM
Really? Why would they do that? Are they wanting to get people on OpenJDK to someday offload Java??

Ok, I may have misread the article: Oracle retires licence for distributing its Java with Linux (http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Oracle-retires-licence-for-distributing-its-Java-with-Linux-1332835.html).

Ledru noted that some packages are hardwired to depend on the Oracle binary release and that there are still some issues with fonts, applets and support from other software developers for OpenJDK; he asked that users report OpenJDK-only problems so that they can be fixed upstream and bring the OpenJDK packages up to the quality of the Oracle JDK.

I think I first read that differently. Sorry for the confusion.

craig10x
December 13th, 2011, 08:23 AM
They are right about that...i have a program in fact that works perfectly in Oracle java 6 (the licensed version) and does NOT work properly in Oracle Open JDK 6 or 7 for that matter...

So they are not identical at this point as some java programs will not work in the open version..They really do need to get it on par with the license version...especially now that ubuntu is no longer offering the licensed version in their repos...

And if you want to get it from Oracle's site it's a pain in the neck...no deb file...has to be installed manually...

Primefalcon
December 13th, 2011, 09:58 AM
And if you want to get it from Oracle's site it's a pain in the neck...no deb file...has to be installed manually...
On the plus side there are a lot of easy walkthroughs around that will do it.

I'd advise though that if you do a manual install, set it up in a version independent folder name such as java_custom rather than 1.7 or 1.6.29 so that to update in the future all you have to do is extract the files to there.... saves a lot of future hassle.

BTW does the licence change mean that no one can provide a deb file?

Roasted
December 13th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Sigh. Oracle just really needs to stop.

BrokenKingpin
December 13th, 2011, 08:35 PM
They are right about that...i have a program in fact that works perfectly in Oracle java 6 (the licensed version) and does NOT work properly in Oracle Open JDK 6 or 7 for that matter...

Have you investigates why? Is this an application you are developing? If so maybe you can update it to workaround the issue so it works with both SDKs.

BrokenKingpin
December 13th, 2011, 08:36 PM

Have you investigates why? Is this an application you are developing? If so maybe you can update it to workaround the issue so it works with both SDKs. At this point it is probably better to just try and get it working with the open SDK, instead of waiting for it to "catch up".

At the very least open a bug with the open SDK to get the issue resolved.

Primefalcon
December 13th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Have you investigates why? Is this an application you are developing? If so maybe you can update it to workaround the issue so it works with both SDKs. At this point it is probably better to just try and get it working with the open SDK, instead of waiting for it to "catch up".

At the very least open a bug with the open SDK to get the issue resolved.
The openJDK will probably get updated somewhat faster now, what I am wondering though myself is if the oracle licence prohibits a 3rd party from making a .deb file of the oracle java for others to use....