PDA

View Full Version : Heads up Comcast subscribers - moving select analog channels -> digital

andy-roo
December 10th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Wanted to warn any Comcast subscribers about some channels switching to digital only. It seems my area only has local channels on analog now. As far as I know I got no warning...

This is a thumbnail from one of my failed recordings from a PVR-150.
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/5742/103820111208230000nuv.png

klc5555
December 10th, 2011, 09:36 PM
This is news? For most of us this happened over two years ago.

They should also have given you (at least) a DTA appropriate for whatever your current cable subscription is. Which means that if you wish to continue using your old pvr-150 you can pipe the DTA's output into the card, and configure lirc with a blaster to do the channel changing on the DTA.

A nuisance to be sure, but it reclaims a lot of channel frequency space for Comcast to use for higher-quality digital.

williammanda
December 15th, 2011, 10:42 PM
I was told 2 years ago by comcast that they were going to help customers out, so they didn't have to buy the convertor box for anaolg tv, by converting the digital stations to analog for a while. The time frame for how long wasn't given but it makes sense that they are doing it now.

jaakan
December 21st, 2011, 09:45 PM
They are just turning off those analog channels to save bandwidth so they can added more digital channels later.

andy-roo
December 22nd, 2011, 01:37 AM
This digital switch is news to me. It doesn't surprise me it has already happened elsewhere. I don't really live in a urban area so maybe that's why it took so long.
I just wanted to give others a heads up.

Ultimately, this doesn't really matter for me because I already ordered a new system with a HDHomeRun Prime before my recordings started failing. I'm still in the process of configuring everything, the plan is to do all that over the holiday...