PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Gnome3 Ubuntu spinoff?

bruno9779
December 10th, 2011, 08:39 PM
I have been googling around to see if Canonical has plan for a spinoff involving Gnome3. I couldn't find anything else than hundreds of Ubuntu users with gnome3 install issues.

Any news are appreciated

cybergalvez
December 10th, 2011, 10:06 PM
I doubt there will be one, although its easy enough to install these days, just installing the gnome-shell package is all you have to do. Wondering if all the posts with install issues were old before the package was in the repos

bluexrider
December 10th, 2011, 10:12 PM
I have been googling around to see if Canonical has plan for a spinoff involving Gnome3. I couldn't find anything else than hundreds of Ubuntu users with gnome3 install issues.

Any news are appreciated

Ubuntu, probably not. However Mint has launched one, it called Mint 12 "Lisa" http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Read the information. Its been out less than a month and they are still making changes but its becoming more stable.

bruno9779
December 11th, 2011, 12:59 AM
Thanks Bluex. I will check it out for sure.

I know I can install Gnome3 in Ubuntu, I have been compiling gnome-shell in Ubuntu since the first releases in 2009. What concerns me is the integration.
Ubuntu excels in integrating the available apps with the choosen DE, compared to other distros.

I really hate the look and feel of Unity, it just doesn't go with me. I have used it for 6 months and got increasingly irritated with it.
I have tried switching to Fedora 16, which sports a stable and light Gnome3 (I have read that gnome3 on ubuntu is more resource hungry than Unity, that's not true for Fedora), but I cannot get used to rpms and the small community.

bluexrider
December 11th, 2011, 01:13 AM

I know I can install Gnome3 in Ubuntu, I have been compiling gnome-shell in Ubuntu since the first releases in 2009. What concerns me is the integration.
Ubuntu excels in integrating the available apps with the choosen DE, compared to other distros.

I really hate the look and feel of Unity, it just doesn't go with me. I have used it for 6 months and got increasingly irritated with it.
I have tried switching to Fedora 16, which sports a stable and light Gnome3 (I have read that gnome3 on ubuntu is more resource hungry than Unity, that's not true for Fedora), but I cannot get used to rpms and the small community.

No problem Bruno.
Let me know how it works out for you

kurt18947
December 11th, 2011, 01:36 AM

It's been some pretty major changes from 10.10 to 11.10. I think doing upgrades is asking for big-time headaches. I'm running fresh installs - NO UPGRADES - on a couple machines and am not having any issues. I too am not a Unity fan thought I can sorta do what I need to do. Gnome 3 shell, especially with gnome-tweak-tool and a few extensions from extension.gnome.org I find quite usable. I am a casual user, not doing demanding things which likely makes a difference. Also my hardware is recent but not bleeding edge which I think helps as well.