PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No effects in Unity after installing AMD Catalyst driver.

relik1989
December 10th, 2011, 05:04 AM
I was messing around with Unity prior to installing the proprietary AMD Catalyst drivers and noticed that unity had some very nice graphical effects while using the open source driver. Just subtle things like in the dash the list of apps would kind of float, and bounce when you hit the bottom or top of the list (Similar to on most Android phones). However after installing the AMD drivers for my HD6850 these effects are gone. However I can confirm that I do have 3D acceleration, my compiz works fine, and I was playing Portal 2 in wine just a minute ago.

I installed the AMD drivers through the Ubuntu restricted drivers windows (Jockey I think its called).

Can anyone help with this, those effects really add to the overall feel of unity and they are quite nice.

I am running 11.10 and have done all system updates.

relik1989
December 10th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Anyone? I have searched high and low and cant find anything even close.

relik1989
December 14th, 2011, 06:11 AM
I cant really be the only person to have this problem...can I?

pipantal
April 23rd, 2012, 11:12 PM
I was messing around with Unity prior to installing the proprietary AMD Catalyst drivers and noticed that unity had some very nice graphical effects while using the open source driver. Just subtle things like in the dash the list of apps would kind of float, and bounce when you hit the bottom or top of the list (Similar to on most Android phones). However after installing the AMD drivers for my HD6850 these effects are gone. However I can confirm that I do have 3D acceleration, my compiz works fine, and I was playing Portal 2 in wine just a minute ago.

I installed the AMD drivers through the Ubuntu restricted drivers windows (Jockey I think its called).

Can anyone help with this, those effects really add to the overall feel of unity and they are quite nice.

Hey, i write from France.
I just buy HD6450 video card, and I discover Ubuntu 11.10 is now very slow.
It is impossible watching video.

Yesterday I try with Unity 2D, it's better, but not perfect.
With my integrated video on my motherboard (a Nvidia chipset) it is good, but not perfect (so it's the raison to my choice to a new video card HD6450 fanless and not too expensive)

But HD6450 is five or six time faster than my old video card ...

I don't understand

Max Blyss
April 24th, 2012, 02:58 AM

You can switch. Just re-open the 'Additional Drivers' window and try different ones starting with the 'recommended' version. You'll have to do a couple restarts, but oh, well. SOmetimes the Open Source drivers work better than the proprietary ones.

Hope it helps.

Max Blyss
April 24th, 2012, 03:01 AM
Hey, i write from France.
I just buy HD6450 video card, and I discover Ubuntu 11.10 is now very slow.
It is impossible watching video.

Yesterday I try with Unity 2D, it's better, but not perfect.
With my integrated video on my motherboard (a Nvidia chipset) it is good, but not perfect (so it's the raison to my choice to a new video card HD6450 fanless and not too expensive)

But HD6450 is five or six time faster than my old video card ...

I don't understand

Did you check out 'Additional Drivers' in your settings?