PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I'm not sure how to upgrade from Mint 9 to Ubuntu 11.10

TheoJava
December 10th, 2011, 03:11 AM
A long while back I installed Linux Mint 9 on an HP Pavilion a6120n desktop PC, and now I'm in the process of installing Ubuntu 11.10. I'm not sure how I should go about it though. There are two main things complicating it slightly:

1. I'd like to keep all the user data, if possible.

2. Back when I installed Mint 9, I did so by creating a number of partitions alongside my Windows install, and no longer remember why, or which ones are what. These are the partitions from the left on that bar to right:

- sda1: NTFS partition, likely the main Windows (Vista) install.
- sda5: 3.1 gb, swap space.
- sda6: 15 gb, ext4 partition.
- sda3 and sda7: Not sure what order they're in. Both ext4. sda3 is 99.6 mb, and sda7 is 109.7 gb (I'm assuming sda7 is the user partition?).
- sda2: Another NTFS partition, 9.5 gb.

So is anyone here familiar enough with common partitioning practices to feel they know what each partition is supposed to be? I did follow some 3rd party guide to make the install.

How should I go about installing 11.10? Should I delete all the ext4 partitions except the one that I think is probably the user partition?

searchfgold6789
December 10th, 2011, 03:59 AM
We can't determine what te partitions are likely used for just by their sizes. Could you post the contents of the partitions? (maybe a few folder names?)
Thanks,
- search

tartalo
December 10th, 2011, 04:16 AM
df -h

kio_http
December 10th, 2011, 04:35 AM
You probably don't have a user partition. Maybe system and home folder are in the same partition. If so just backup and do a fresh install of Ubuntu. When installing chose manual mode and format sda7 and set its mountpoint to "/"