PDA

View Full Version : How do you remotely connect to your computer/server?

sandyd
December 9th, 2011, 09:27 PM
On my main server, which runs ESXi, that would be the vSphere client.

Otherwise, KVM over IP

collisionystm
December 9th, 2011, 09:32 PM
On my main server, which runs ESXi, that would be the vSphere client.

Otherwise, KVM over IP

Vmware, same as you.

Others, Internally, through the terminal

externally, across a VPN.

lisati
December 9th, 2011, 09:36 PM
It depends on what I'm doing and where I am at the time. From within my internal network I have been known to use SSH, which I have chosen not to make publicly accessible.

If you want to access my server, I don't mind visits to my website (hint: see sig.) but be aware that bad behaviour will be noticed, so behave yourself!

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 9th, 2011, 10:04 PM
The poll needs to allow multiple choice answers.

I may use ssh, cssh, RDP/VNC, VPN, the ESXi vSphere client, on board administrator consoles for blade servers, among many other options.

It depends on the hardware, hypervisor, operating system being used, and what I am trying to accomplish.

Bachstelze
December 9th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Netcat.

collisionystm
December 9th, 2011, 10:53 PM
It depends on what I'm doing and where I am at the time. From within my internal network I have been known to use SSH, which I have chosen not to make publicly accessible.

If you want to access my server, I don't mind visits to my website (hint: see sig.) but be aware that bad behaviour will be noticed, so behave yourself!

Hmm... what do you have....

21/tcp closed ftp
25/tcp open smtp
80/tcp open http
110/tcp open pop3
143/tcp open imap
10000/tcp open snet-sensor-mgmt

AND you have your webmin opened up to the world? As soon as I saw 10000 I knew lol.

lisati
December 9th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Hmm... what do you have....

21/tcp closed ftp
25/tcp open smtp
80/tcp open http
110/tcp open pop3
143/tcp open imap
10000/tcp open snet-sensor-mgmt

AND you have your webmin opened up to the world? As soon as I saw 10000 I knew lol.

Ah yes, I better get in the habit of closing that off when I don't need to access it from outside my network.

(Yes, I have noticed some rascals trying to get in through POP3 and occasionally SASL, this is detected and blocked easily.)