PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Networking Ubuntu with Windows computers

ElibusSlyde
December 9th, 2011, 03:52 PM
I am new to Ubuntu, and have been using Windows XP and Windows 7 for a long time. I am a fairly proficient techie, and I am looking forward to the options and stability of Linux. I haven't used Linux since early Redhat, so I am still shocked at how far Linux has come with Ubuntu.

My concern is that currently I have 6 computers in my home, all joined in a home network with their harddrives fully accessible to each other. This makes my life easy so I can play movies, access business files, etc, etc from any of my systems. I also have a server I use for storage and virtual machines that runs on Windows Server 2003. I would like to begin using Ubuntu on the laptop I use as a primary, while transitioning my other computers to it if things go well. My family (my user base, lol) has never used an operating system other than Windows, so it is important that I do a gradual move.

How hard will it be to have access to my other computers from my new Ubuntu machine? Are there any applications the veterans would recommend? Any advice, tips, or information would be appreciated. I want to switch to Ubuntu, but it is essential that I have access to the other computers and files on my home network.

In case more information is needed, I currently have the network setup using oversimplified workgroup setup in Windows, and have set file permissions at the hard drive level. The permission are set for child folders to get permissions from the parent, and all of the other computers can be modified by my main computer (the laptop) but cannot modify each other. All computers have the other systems harddrives mapped as network drives.

nothingspecial
December 9th, 2011, 04:10 PM
During the gradual process you would access your windows computers through something known as samba

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Samba

Once all the computers are running Ubuntu, networking and permissions will be easy. Linux was designed with that in mind :)