PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Reset Ubuntu?

technocandy93
December 9th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Hi guys, this is my first time posting in your fabulous forums, and my first time ever using Ubuntu.

I know this might sound like something illegal, but I can assure you that it is completely legal.

Anyway, my college was throwing out old computers today so I decided to salvage one. I got it all the way home and realized that there is a username and password on it. I wouldn't have the slightest clue what the password is and have failed many times to try and solve it without success. Is there a way that I can sort of reset the computer to like how it was before a username and password were on it? Or anyway to bypass it to remove it?

Any response is deeply appreciated.

papibe
December 9th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Is it a Windows username and password? If so, you could ask your teachers, IT staff, or alike. In any case, if you are planing to install Ubuntu, that doesn't stop you for a dual booting option.

Just some thoughts.
Regards.

technocandy93
December 9th, 2011, 08:48 AM
It already has Ubuntu on it. The login name is "student" but I'll have to wait till Monday to ask. Is there a way to bypass the login screen to reset it all?

lukeiamyourfather
December 9th, 2011, 08:55 AM
It already has Ubuntu on it. The login name is "student" but I'll have to wait till Monday to ask. Is there a way to bypass the login screen to reset it all?

It would be much less complicated to reinstall Ubuntu, unless you find out what the password is by asking.

technocandy93
December 9th, 2011, 09:11 AM
How complicated would it be?

If I do reinstall it, if I copy the schools disc will it work? Or a flash drive or something ?

bluexrider
December 9th, 2011, 09:45 AM
put the cd in the drive and boot it