PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Adwaita Gnome 3 theme original?

tabitha.frank
December 9th, 2011, 06:44 AM
So I've decided the theme that comes default with Gnome 3 on Ubuntu is ugly. I know that there are themes I can use, but I like the one on the gnome 3 website here (http://www.gnome.org/gnome-3/) I know it's called Adwaita, but how do I get it to look EXACTLY like that.

Alwimo
December 9th, 2011, 07:19 AM
I assume that you are using Gnome Shell, not Unity. If you're using Unity, there will be one extra step, in italics. Ignore the italics if you are using Gnome Shell.

Download and install Gnome Tweak Tool (it then shows up as "Advanced Settings" when you look at the apps). To install it, you can open the terminal and type "sudo apt-get install gnome-tweak-tool" and follow the instructions.

If using Unity, Gnome Shell is installed along with Gnome Tweak Tool if you didn't have it already. Log out and click on the cog icon near your name before signing in. Select "Gnome" and log in as usual. You can switch back to Unity by selection "Ubuntu" in the future, but it remembers what you did last so you don't have to do it each time if you want to stick with the same one.

Once installed, open "Advanced Settings" and click on "Theme" Pick "Default" as the theme for the shell and "Adwaita (default)" for the gtk+ theme and the window theme. Pick Gnome (default) as the icon theme. You may need to log out and back in again for the theme to completely change.

The dark Adwaita theme shows up for applications like Totem (Movie Player) and Eye Of Gnome (the picture viewer). It's light for other things.

You can change the wallpaper by right-clicking on the desktop and selecting "Change Desktop Background". The wallpaper shown there is installed along with Gnome Shell.