PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a new PC

Janeleaper
December 8th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Hi.

My Dell 530 desktop has died. My technical query and cry of despair are elsewhere on the forum.

Now I need to decide what to replace it with.

I've always bought Dell before, but they only last me about 3 and a half years.

I use my PC for word processing and other office functions, photos, listening to radio, surfing the net etc. I'm not a gamer, though I do listen to radio and watch TV programmes on it occasionally.

I'll want to install Ubuntu on whatever I buy, but I'm not going to build my own computer. I'm only a retired lawyer, and the only technical knowledge I have is what people tell me on this forum.

I'm thinking of getting a Hewlett Packard, because they seem to be reliable. I'm wondering if I should get something better than the budget PC I usually buy, and if it would last longer.

click4851
December 8th, 2011, 11:09 PM
unless you want to tinker with your OS, and "learn to code" as I've heard the suggestion, I would in all honesty buy a MAC if you just want it to work. Since your asking....;)

bluexrider
December 8th, 2011, 11:10 PM
you can get a pre-installed Ubuntu system through System 76 http://www.system76.com/

Basher101
December 8th, 2011, 11:10 PM
unless you want to tinker with your OS, and "learn to code" as I've heard the suggestion, I would in all honesty buy a MAC if you just want it to work. Since your asking....;)

A Mac is good for work, yes. But it depends what programs the OP uses and if those would only run on Windows and/or Ubuntu...

papibe
December 8th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Hi Janeleaper.

Was the 530 working OK for you before it died?
Was it a Dual Core?
Do you have a budget?

Regardless of that, I think you should go with a Sandy Bridge PC (if you prefer Intel). It would give you more upgrade options in the near future.

Just a thought,
Regards.

Janeleaper
December 8th, 2011, 11:35 PM
I've never felt like paying Apple prices, I've never bought one of their products. And I want to be able to synchronise work with two netbooks which have Ubuntu. So, I don't think I'll go down that road.

I've had a look at the system 76 site and I'm tempted by the Meerkat Nettop, though I think I'd up the hard-drive to 500 GB. Reviews of it seem generally good.

Janeleaper
December 8th, 2011, 11:45 PM
The 530 was working reasonably well up to a few days ago, when it developed a terminal illness. It was always temperamental about recognising a cd in the cd/dvd drive, or a thumb drive, but that was my only problem with it. The fan became very noisy in hot weather. But it was certainly powerful enough for my needs.

It was dual core.

papibe
December 9th, 2011, 01:11 AM
It was dual core.
Then a 2nd Gen Intel i3 would be a very good upgrade. It is also reasonable priced.

Some people called that it 'a consumer' processor, and they would recommend nothing less than a i5, but I think it is a valid option.

Kind Regards.

Janeleaper
December 9th, 2011, 01:49 AM
Thank-you everyone. I've decided on the System 76 Meerkat. I like the low power use.

3Miro
December 9th, 2011, 04:38 AM
Thank-you everyone. I've decided on the System 76 Meerkat. I like the low power use.

+1 on your choice, for a pre-build machine with 100% Ubuntu compatibility.

I build my own desktops, but in the past I have bought 2 System76 laptops and I am pretty happy about both purchases.

wolfen69
December 9th, 2011, 04:52 AM
Regardless of that, I think you should go with a Sandy Bridge PC (if you prefer Intel). It would give you more upgrade options in the near future.

I agree with this. My laptop is ALL Intel, and have no issues whatsoever. However, if you are a gamer, it becomes interesting to say the least. But for an "average" user, I recommend staying with all Intel chipsets. Then it's just a matter of how much you have/want to spend.