PDA

View Full Version : You thought Ubuntu's upgrade was bad - Xbox takes the cake!

Stray Wolf
December 8th, 2011, 09:51 PM
I've been using Unity since the day 11.10 came out. I did fresh installs on all my devices and though it's not perfect I can see where it's going. It's sleek and so simplistic it almost makes you feel like you're forgetting something. A lot of people complained and still complain about Unity and the direction Ubuntu is going. I thought of this the night before last night when I did the latest update to my Xbox 360 and saw the new interface. I'm not sure any of you have gotten the update but wow...it looks outdated and has a more cumbersome interface now. It's really bad. Detractors of Unity should see how the "Pro's" do it. Chances are you'll point and laugh. If you think Unity is a change for the worst you should see Microsoft's Xbox and smart phone OS's. They've recently redefined "change for the worst.

bastones
December 8th, 2011, 10:07 PM
To be honest I think Microsoft's Windows Phone user interface is pretty good, can't comment on the Xbox user interface change you are talking about though, as I don't have an Xbox.

I think the Unity interface is a step in the right direction; it does need improvements here and there but generally it's pretty good. Though I think there is still work to do in some areas with Ubuntu in general to make it more user friendly especially when there are problems with hardware compatibility, etc.

MasterNetra
December 8th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Ok, where's the cake?

LowSky
December 8th, 2011, 10:32 PM
My PS3 just got it's 4.0 update. It now gives me a health warning and to consult their documentation about the topic. Do that many people get seizures it's now that big of a deal. I mean, really? Wasn't it enough to place the warning on the game's box.

I will give it to Sony for not changing much and upgrading the menu at a pace that doesn't cause stricken panic of its users. The annoying DRM limitations not so much.

Smilax
December 8th, 2011, 10:37 PM
i think it's good,

i used to have to press up and x to start call of duty,

now all i have to do is hit x

don't use xbox for anything else.

clblanchard
December 8th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Everyone is entitled to thier opinions and as a proud owner of a Windows Phone 7 (HD7 by HTC) and Xbox 360 I love the new look and feel. The Kinect integration is amazing and I hope my next tablet purchase can wait until Windows 8. I think they are definitely going in the right direction. I will admit it takes time to get used to the new dashboard, but I've had it for a month or so. After about a week you'll see that it flows very well and if you have a Kinect you'll realize how nice it is to be able to tell the Xbox what you want it to do. Even my wife loves it and she is a Mac fanatic.

Dlambert
December 9th, 2011, 01:15 AM
I like it. Since I use Windows 8 on my gaming rig, I'm used to it. :KS :KS :KS :KS :KS

tjeremiah
December 9th, 2011, 06:19 AM
its ugly and there are still annoying ads on the dashboard.

sandyd
December 9th, 2011, 07:26 AM
its ugly and there are still annoying ads on the dashboard.
Thats why you install an internet gateway with moblock.

wolfen69
December 9th, 2011, 07:28 AM
I've been using Unity since the day 11.10 came out. I did fresh installs on all my devices and though it's not perfect I can see where it's going. It's sleek and so simplistic it almost makes you feel like you're forgetting something. A lot of people complained and still complain about Unity and the direction Ubuntu is going. I thought of this the night before last night when I did the latest update to my Xbox 360 and saw the new interface. I'm not sure any of you have gotten the update but wow...it looks outdated and has a more cumbersome interface now. It's really bad. Detractors of Unity should see how the "Pro's" do it. Chances are you'll point and laugh. If you think Unity is a change for the worst you should see Microsoft's Xbox and smart phone OS's. They've recently redefined "change for the worst.

ok.......

Stray Wolf
December 21st, 2011, 05:34 PM
XBOX Kinect stokes my paranoia too much. I'm afraid it's capturing data for more than just the navigating and playing games.

Sorry to bring up Microsoft all together really. I guess now I can see where the Unity-haters are coming from.

mamamia88
December 21st, 2011, 05:45 PM
I kinda like it the old interface was garbage. I wouldn't even bother using it would just hit the guide button to find what I wanted. The xmb is the best imo still but this is definitely decent imo.

forrestcupp
December 21st, 2011, 09:11 PM
I actually liked the new dashboard. The kinect integration seems to be much better now.

The only thing about it that really made me mad was that you can use Bing to search for apps, and it will let you spend 10 minutes downloading an app, only to find out later when you run it that it doesn't work without a Gold membership. That's a load of cow dung. They need to tell you that up front before you waste your time and hard drive space.

BrokenKingpin
December 21st, 2011, 09:15 PM
I really don't find it that bad, Unity is much worse :P.

I don't actually have a 360 anymore, but I played around with it at a friend's house for a bit.

IWantFroyo
December 22nd, 2011, 02:21 AM
I managed to forget the password I set 2 years ago, leading me to have to get my password reset just to re-accept the terms of service. Talk about a pain...

Plus, it took about 10 minutes for Netflix to download. Then it all crashed horribly.

forrestcupp
December 22nd, 2011, 08:29 PM
Plus, it took about 10 minutes for Netflix to download. Then it all crashed horribly.
Yeah, I spent about 10 minutes downloading the YouTube app, only to find out I can't use it because I don't have a Gold account.

BrokenKingpin
December 23rd, 2011, 09:18 PM
Yeah, I spent about 10 minutes downloading the YouTube app, only to find out I can't use it because I don't have a Gold account.
That really is stupid. Same thing with Netflix, even though you already pay to have a Netflix account, and on the PS3 it is offered for free. Money grabbing assholes... which is why I sold my 360 and got a PS3 lol. Sure the online experience is not as good, but for the few games I play and Netflix it is more than enough.