PDA

View Full Version : Web hosting recommendations

PaulM1985
December 8th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Hi

I am about to start on my final project in my third year studying a Computing degree. As part of my project I want to create a Facebook application which will be hosted externally to Facebook, where Facebook will forward to my web address, as seen here:

http://blogs.oracle.com/sduv/entry/write_facebook_applications_using_java

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any sites that provide web hosting that support Java (ie servlets and JSP).

My site will contain an game in the form of an applet that the user will play and at the end of the game I want the applet to post it's state to the server, which will save the serialised Java object to file. I am researching AI and so the game files will allow me to assess what has happened during the game and what decisions the artificial agent chose to take.

I know that I can probably do this in PHP, which lots of web hosts seem to support, but the rest of the project is quite a handful, so sticking with what I know is preferable.

Paul

PS - I have considered hosting this myself using tomcat and dynamic DNS, but my internet connection is too unreliable to make this an option, so I need a 3rd party to host it.

juancarlospaco
December 8th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Gae ?

karlson
December 8th, 2011, 10:23 PM
I need a 3rd party to host it.

Many sites can provide hosting with Java and JSP support the question is how much you want to pay for it.

PaulM1985
December 8th, 2011, 10:36 PM
I am not looking to pay too much, I am a student :-). I know there are plenty out there and I could just google "Java web hosting" but I am asking for hosts that people use themselves and recommend.

I was assuming that people on here were quite likely to use web hosting services of some sort.

Paul

bluexrider
December 8th, 2011, 10:37 PM
I have mine at GoDaddy for 12 bucks a year

karlson
December 8th, 2011, 11:35 PM
I am not looking to pay too much, I am a student :-). I know there are plenty out there and I could just google "Java web hosting" but I am asking for hosts that people use themselves and recommend.

I was assuming that people on here were quite likely to use web hosting services of some sort.

Paul

http://www.fatcow.com
http://www.godaddy.com I wouldn't use them but they are cheap.

My personal favorite would be to choose a Linux machine if you have one available at school. Install a webserver on it and Tomcat and run it on port other then 80.

I actually had one running for awhile when I was at school.

11jmb
December 9th, 2011, 12:10 AM
I don't know the parameters of this project and how much time you have left, but hosting your own http server would be a great addition to the project.

This isn't going to be due at the end of your fall semester is it? (in a week or 2?)

PaulM1985
December 9th, 2011, 12:45 AM
Karlson, the two you listed don't seem to support java.

I can't use schools computer because the university course is self taught and there isn't exactly a campus. It's all remote working. Www.open.ac.UK for more info.

My course is nine months long starting Feb 2012. I have hosted sites before and I know how to set them up, just my internet connection has recently gotten pretty bad and so anything I host is not going to be reliable. The main focus of my project is genetic algorithms and distributed computing to speed evolution rates, so I would rather focus my efforts on those rather than hassle with hosting troubles. The website is only to host the game so that I can gather information on how well my artificial player competes against real people.

Paul

collisionystm
December 9th, 2011, 12:49 AM
Maybe check bluehost or network solutions

GeneralZod
December 9th, 2011, 11:59 AM
You can also hire a cheap VPS for a few months, and install whatever you want on it. I pay £2.23 p/m for mine, and it has a static IP.

highspider
December 18th, 2011, 12:06 AM
I have mine at GoDaddy for 12 bucks a year

That's what I would do. I would buy a cheap-o computer off craigslist, newspaper add garage sale, ebay, ask a computer store for a old free one or other. Then use that use that cheap-o as your server with a Domain Name Registrar for around 15$ for the whole year!

Check my attached to see what slow cheap-o I is use for my Ubuntu server.
Rendering web pages and running javascript is not going to need a expen$ive computer.
also remember that you dont need a monitor, keyboard, mouse just the cat5 cable and power cord once it's up running. So you could barrow the ones off your main computer to install the server software.

rithika
December 20th, 2011, 12:27 PM
To host your java based applications, you can check out Hioxindia. You can host your Java server pages/servlet at $3.21. A reliable web host, good service, good technical assistance with 99.9% assured uptime.

ratcheer
December 20th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Just stay away from 1&1. Their ads are enticing, but once you sign up, it is difficult to ever cancel.

Tim

Habitual
December 20th, 2011, 04:18 PM
20.00 USD a month at http://www.linode.com/