PDA

View Full Version : Shigeru Miyamoto is retiring

forrestcupp
December 8th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Shigeru Miyamoto is retiring (http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2011/12/08/mario-and-zelda-creator-shigeru-miyamoto-retiring-as-head-of-nintendo/) as head of Nintendo game development. As a huge fan of Zelda, I really hate to see this. I hope the quality of the storyline of future Zelda games is not going to be destroyed because of this.

mamamia88
December 8th, 2011, 04:04 PM
All I have to say is that they have been relying on the same franchises for too long. Maybe they will come out with something new now.

Bachstelze
December 8th, 2011, 04:06 PM
All I have to say is that they have been relying on the same franchises for too long. Maybe they will come out with something new now.

Biggest nonsense I have read today. You can do something very new, if not revolutionary, with old franchises. See Zelda OOT and Mario 64.

forrestcupp
December 8th, 2011, 04:18 PM

Tell that to all the reviewers saying that Skyward Sword is the best game ever made.

mamamia88
December 8th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Tell that to all the reviewers saying that Skyward Sword is the best game ever made.

my brother bought it and left his wii with me. maybe i'll bother hooking it up and trying it out

forrestcupp
December 8th, 2011, 05:16 PM
A spokesperson at Nintendo denied that Miyamoto is retiring. His intentions were pretty clear in the interview. I think Nintendo just wants people not to freak out after they had their first quarter ever with a loss.

my brother bought it and left his wii with me. maybe i'll bother hooking it up and trying it out

Just because of that game, I wish we hadn't sold our Wii. I read IGN's review, and they said it rivaled Ocarina of Time. They even implied that they think it's the best game ever made.

I guess I'll have to wait until the Wii U is out to try it. At least by then I'll be able to pick up a used copy at Gamestop.

BigSilly
December 8th, 2011, 05:59 PM

Kinda like asking Disney to stop making cartoons. :D

This is sad news, but I suspect the truth is that Miyamoto has been winding down his involvement in the big franchises for some time. The Mario Galaxy games were made mostly without his involvement, and I believe so was Skyward Sword.

Still, I weep an inner fanboy tear for my misspent youth with his classic games. It's like finding out Spielberg isn't making any more movies. :(

trivialpackets
December 8th, 2011, 06:35 PM
I'm well into this game and enjoying it very much. I have no idea if it qualifies as the "best game ever made", but it's a great game, lots of Zelda fun.

del_diablo
December 8th, 2011, 08:19 PM

I would have had agreed, if Nintendo was doing the same most other franchise companies do: Find a game title, and keep on making remakes of it in a blockbuster fashion and as rapid as possible.
And: So far they have been doing a great job at actually making good games, the fact that its a part of a franchise be ignored.
Compare them to other series:
-Mass Effect(had some novelity, but that don't bother fixing the boring combat yet, its just another cover shooter with lore)
-Any EA sport series(well, thats just... remakes for the sake of the yearly update!)
-Rance (well... i need to play more of them before I can judge em)