PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Menus do not respond to Alt key

VanillaMozilla
December 8th, 2011, 05:37 AM
<Alt>f should give the File menu, etc., but the menu does not respond in any program, with the exception that <Alt>h activates the Help menu.

This happens in only one account.

<Alt>f1 and <Alt>f2 also work.

What's going on? I haven't found any preferences yet that affect it.

kurt18947
December 8th, 2011, 07:58 AM
I just tried all the FireFox alt-letter menu keys and they work properly. I'm using 11.10 Gnome-shell. Maybe check which keyboard is selected?

VanillaMozilla
December 8th, 2011, 04:21 PM
I've solved the problem -- sort of. The problem isn't the wrong keyboard, but I can't really tell what I changed.

The choice of keyboards is a bit of a mess. There are many (but not enough) combinations of keys in the various keyboards, but there's no obvious way to redefine the various keys. I have a genuine 101-key IBM keyboard, but that keyboard doesn't seem to be defined.

It turns out that the left <Alt> button worked, but the right one did not. The right button is defined as an ISO_Lev... button -- whatever that is -- but as it turns out, that's not the problem because it's the same keyboard as in the other account that works. There must be some different setting somewhere, but I can't find it.

What does work is to press the button and restore the defaults. That gives you a generic 105-key keyboard with the <Alt> key defined incorrectly, but it works nonetheless. Go figure.