PDA

View Full Version : Lubuntu?

argoz17
December 8th, 2011, 02:24 AM
So I have an older Dell from 2003 I think, and I have Ubuntu 10.10 on, I am building a computer currently which I will put Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on. Now this old Dell I have runs a little slow with Ubuntu, so I am thinking about putting Lubuntu on it. Does Lubunut have a software center and what not, or is it more like the average Linux where I have to do sudo apt-get?

Dustintendo
December 8th, 2011, 02:44 AM
that system will likely fly with lubuntu, or you may want to try xubuntu.

as far as a software center in lubuntu, there is one thats in development that you can try by following the instructions here : http://www.webupd8.org/2011/09/install-lubuntu-software-center.html

3Miro
December 8th, 2011, 02:50 AM
For a machine as old as 2003, Lubuntu should be the best choice.

Lubuntu can run any application from Ubuntu, hence you should be able to run the regular Software Center. You will certainly be able to run Synaptic Package Manager, which is like a lower level Software Center, it can certainly do everything that the Software Center can, if not more, but it can be a bit harder to use.

argoz17
December 8th, 2011, 05:37 AM
Sounds good, Ubuntu is just to slow and choppy on it. So something fast for that computer would be nice. I'm gonna replace it with my nice build, gonna have Nividia graphics, 8gig RAM, 1.5 TB HDD. So ill probably give this Dell to my sister.

cariboo
December 8th, 2011, 05:45 AM
If you plan on installing Lubuntu 11.10, I'd suggest you stay away from the Software Center on older hardware, as it is fairly slow even on up-to-date hardware. Synaptic package manager is installed by default. and in my opinion a much better tool for the job.

wolfen69
December 8th, 2011, 05:58 AM
I would try a minimal install of Debian with fluxbox. :) But yeah, lubuntu should run good on it.

frankbooth
December 8th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Lubuntu 12.04 will ship with Lubuntu Software Center, a light alternative to the software center in Ubuntu.

You can install it in 11.10 by following this how-to (http://www.webupd8.org/2011/09/install-lubuntu-software-center.html).

Keep in mind that Lubuntu Software Center is still under development and is not considered stable.

BrokenKingpin
December 8th, 2011, 10:40 PM
If you plan on installing Lubuntu 11.10, I'd suggest you stay away from the Software Center on older hardware, as it is fairly slow even on up-to-date hardware. Synaptic package manager is installed by default. and in my opinion a much better tool for the job.
Agreed... I really like the look of the Software Center, but it is just so damn slow it's unusable. An entire OS can boot in the time it takes Software Center to start. Hopefully they improve it for the next release. I swear they are trying to compete with MS for slowest piece of software ever made.

cariboo
December 9th, 2011, 01:53 AM
Agreed... I really like the look of the Software Center, but it is just so damn slow it's unusable. An entire OS can boot in the time it takes Software Center to start. Hopefully they improve it for the next release. I swear they are trying to compete with MS for slowest piece of software ever made.

Improving the Software Center performance is on the todo list for Precise.