PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Last update for 11.10 Thunderbird issues

eightbits89
December 8th, 2011, 02:18 AM
Using 11.10 on PC and after the most previous update
I notice several issues. (1) The speakers no longer work from
the rear connector (System76 NetTop PC) when it used to
output sound from both audio connectos front and rear.

Now I notice that I can not edit the email Thunderbird contact list.

It seems that every time there is an upgrade or update, something changes from the user perspective and I have to
spend more time to try and figure it out than just use the darn PC.:confused:

I am beginning to dread what ever comes next. We got the
change from RhythmBox to Banshee and I understand the next release will be back to RhythmBox? Good Grief !:(

Rex Bouwense
December 8th, 2011, 02:44 AM
Do you have a question?

eightbits89
December 8th, 2011, 02:51 AM
Question is: Why is it on each and every upgrade or update does the OS seem to get clobbered. Things just stop working.
Example: Latest thing, Thunderbird no longer allows editing
of contact list.:(
Question: Is there an answer to that and is there an answer to surviving the so called updates.:confused:

I am starting to believe that using Ubuntu just might have been a mistake on my part. I will start looking at alternatives to see if they are a little more stable.:(

thaelim
December 8th, 2011, 03:18 AM
Change is one of the constants of Open Source - people are constantly trying to improve their software, etc. If you want more stability you could stick with the LTS releases of Ubuntu, or try Debian. That said, a problem with Thunderbird is hardly Ubuntu's fault - what you are seeing sounds more like a configuration issue in Thunderbird.

eightbits89
December 8th, 2011, 03:33 AM
Oh yes I do understand the OpenSource concept. But I would think that it reasonable to not changing the way a user has the system set up that an upgrade would not give the user the option to have something removed. Like the recent upgrade to 11.10, the removal of the screen saver, important to me because I have CRT and not an LCD. I don't interpret that as an improvement.

But O get your point about the LTS installs. I guess I will wait until the next one comes out and until then I will ignore the updates, they don't seem to improve anything to me. And then I will stick with LTS and I am considering switching to the RH (paid version) version where you get a stable OS.

Thunderbird only changed after the latest updates, and I think that is a Thunderbird issue. OpenSource again.

I was hoping to be able to eliminate Windows some day, and now I am not so sure anymore.

No OpenSource to AutoCAD I can find.

marinara
December 8th, 2011, 01:15 PM
when microsoft updates windows, they test it.
when ubuntu updates, we test it instead.