PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Help me name this Gnome shell theme

cbowman57
December 8th, 2011, 12:56 AM
This thread now marked [Solved]

If you would like to use this theme it can be found at deviantART & gnome-look.org, or you can use the SpiderOak link in my signature

Link to deviantART (http://cbowman57.deviantart.com/art/ChocoLatte-273193264)
Link to gnome-look.org (http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ChocoLatte?content=147493)

Enjoy the theme.

Who can resist offering help to someone in need of assistance? :)

If your curiosity got you to look then what I'm really trying to do is get some collaborators to help finish this theme.

The good part, it's mostly done & I think it looks pretty good. I've also made some progress with bottom panel (MGSE) support.

The bad part, it's got the "pink" bug & the gtk-3.0 is dirty, hasn't been brought up to date with 3.2.

Here's how it's looking so far:

208701 208702 208703

The roots of this project are in:

Metacity from Atolm-gtk3 by ~TheDeviantMars (http://thedeviantmars.deviantart.com/)

Gtk from Old Steampunk by ~samriggs (http://samriggs.deviantart.com/) (I made some small contributions)
Shell theme from GnomishBeige by tsujan (http://gnome-look.org/usermanager/search.php?username=tsujan)
AwOken icon theme by Alessandro Roncone (http://gnome-look.org/usermanager/search.php?username=alecive) (aka alecive) color code 132660

The history, I started just toying around with GnomishBeige this morning & in no time it started turning into what I consider a very elegant theme. Not a big fan of brown but there was something about this that just held my interest & I find very soothing & attractive.

So, there you have it. I'm hoping that a couple people find the idea appealing & are willing to contribute some of their time to making this a complete suite.

Shibblet
December 8th, 2011, 01:19 AM
The Golden Age?
Toffee?
Golden Mocha?

Jay Car
December 8th, 2011, 01:29 AM
The Golden Age?
Toffee?
Golden Mocha?

Golden Mocha! Yes! :)

papibe
December 8th, 2011, 01:30 AM
Mocha.
Dark Chocolate.
Espresso Coffee.
Macchiato.

cbowman57
December 8th, 2011, 01:35 AM
The Golden Age?
Toffee?
Golden Mocha?

All good names, I'm partial to "The Golden Age", it ties into the Old Steampunk connection & the song by The Asteroids Galaxy Tour that always brings a smile to my face every time I listen to it. :)

Thanks for the suggestions.

bluexrider
December 8th, 2011, 01:37 AM
*coco candy
*mars bar
*burnt buntu
*retro brown derby

cbowman57
December 8th, 2011, 01:38 AM
You guys have some great ideas, keep'em coming & hopefully we'll actually end up with a finished product.

I did attach the theme in case anybody wants to use it in whatever condition it's currently in.

Now we just need a finished theme to go with one of these fantastic names.

bluexrider
December 8th, 2011, 01:58 AM
one last

golden huebuntu

moorhead98
December 8th, 2011, 02:00 AM
GoldenEye, anyone?

Shibblet
December 8th, 2011, 02:04 AM
Golden Leather ?
Golden Satchel ?
Chocolate Foil?
Banana Mocha?

Werther's Original?

Frogs Hair
December 8th, 2011, 02:05 AM
Golden
Golden_Shell
Golden_Eye
Golden Gnome

moorhead98
December 8th, 2011, 02:06 AM
24 karat

cbowman57
December 8th, 2011, 02:56 AM
I'm trying to round up some help from outside this forum.

Every suggestion so far is excellent, pleasantly surprised with the participation. :)

stinkeye
December 8th, 2011, 06:13 AM
Brass Olé

cbowman57
December 8th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Just an update, the creator of GnomishBeige, tsujan over on Gnome-look has offered to see where the problem lies & help me correct it. With luck this will be done & available in finished form within a few days assuming tsujan or someone can help me correct a couple problems.

If anyone stumbles across this thread and wants to see if they can solve it I would certainly appreciate it.

I am pretty much in favor of calling it The Golden Age or GoldenAge, something like that but you all have come up with some great names for it. If you think your title is the best sell me on it. :)

Looking over these suggestions there isn't a bad one in the bunch.

cbowman57
December 8th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Ok gang, you've all made excellent suggestions.

The Golden Age
Toffee
Golden Mocha
Golden Mocha
Mocha
Dark Chocolate
Espresso Coffee
Macchiato
coco candy
mars bar
burnt buntu
retro brown derby
golden huebuntu
GoldenEye
Golden Leather
Golden Satchel
Chocolate Foil
Banana Mocha
Werther's Original
Golden
Golden_Shell
Golden_Eye
Golden Gnome
24 karat
Brass Olé

I did some thinking on it last night & I'd like you all to decide which one to go with. As long as there is enough participation I will remain neutral & let the majority decide what it will be.

An update, tsujan took the gtk-widget.css last night & cleaned it up so that was the major stumbling block. Now it's just a matter of me having the time & the inclination ( I need to be in the "mood" to do this stuff ) to make a few cosmetic tweaks before releasing it into the wild, hopefully that will happen before the weekend is over.

Additionally, I want to use something small in a brass or gold look for the window buttons & I can't find my way around gimp to save my life, so if you come across something that you think would look good against this brown please let me know where to find it. Thanks.

BTW, give me a few minutes & I'll have the updated theme attached to the 1st post.

cortman
December 8th, 2011, 04:43 PM
I kind of like "retro brown derby" shortened to simply "Derby". Nice sounding.
Very nice theme, Chuck- I like the soft brown-grays a lot!
What all is left to do on the theme before it's ready? If I can help at all I'd be happy to.

cbowman57
December 8th, 2011, 05:38 PM
I kind of like "retro brown derby" shortened to simply "Derby". Nice sounding.
Very nice theme, Chuck- I like the soft brown-grays a lot!
What all is left to do on the theme before it's ready? If I can help at all I'd be happy to.

Hey cortman, I planned to let you guys settle the name thing between yourselves, but that is another good name for sure.

Things to do yet. I want to change the window buttons, darken the panel just a touch & that's about it off the top of my head.

For the record I don't have any idea what I'm doing in regards to creating themes, I have to do a lot of trial & error to reach the results I want. If somebody can do that easy it would expedite the process. If you're good with gimp I'd be happy to delegate recoloring the existing buttons, I like the size & shape, I just think something with gold tones would look nice against that coffee brown. If you or someone you know is good with theming gnome-shell.css I could probably expand my wants a little bit though. I'd like to change the alt+f2 run dialog box if it's easy but I won't lose sleep over it as-is.

I've never taken to brown themes all that much, & now thinking about it there really aren't many available, other than some stock ones. Most tend to run from Mac-like to the dark grays & black that I usually go for but this one is rather soothing and has an elegance about it that sucked me in. Most of my little experiments end up in the trash bin after I tire of playing with them, but I think this is different.

Another benefit to this is that the work tsujan did will help revive the Old Steampunk theme & bring it up to 3.2, which is a nice freebie since Sam has moved on to another DE for the time being & probably won't be updating it himself.

Well, didn't mean to write a book so I'll wrap this post up here.

Don't want to end up in tl;dr territory. :)

cortman
December 8th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Hey cortman, I planned to let you guys settle the name thing between yourselves, but that is another good name for sure.

Things to do yet. I want to change the window buttons, darken the panel just a touch & that's about it off the top of my head.

For the record I don't have any idea what I'm doing in regards to creating themes, I have to do a lot of trial & error to reach the results I want. If somebody can do that easy it would expedite the process. If you're good with gimp I'd be happy to delegate recoloring the existing buttons, I like the size & shape, I just think something with gold tones would look nice against that coffee brown. If you or someone you know is good with theming gnome-shell.css I could probably expand my wants a little bit though. I'd like to change the alt+f2 run dialog box if it's easy but I won't lose sleep over it as-is.

I've never taken to brown themes all that much, & now thinking about it there really aren't many available, other than some stock ones. Most tend to run from Mac-like to the dark grays & black that I usually go for but this one is rather soothing and has an elegance about it that sucked me in. Most of my little experiments end up in the trash bin after I tire of playing with them, but I think this is different.

Another benefit to this is that the work tsujan did will help revive the Old Steampunk theme & bring it up to 3.2, which is a nice freebie since Sam has moved on to another DE for the time being & probably won't be updating it himself.

Well, didn't mean to write a book so I'll wrap this post up here.

Don't want to end up in tl;dr territory. :)

I won't feel intimidated, then, because I'm just getting my feet wet with themes as well.
I'll install the theme on my laptop (not here right now) and mess with the alt+F2 box a bit, and see if I can come up with anything on the buttons. I'm not the best gimper around, but I'll take a stab at it.
I've always been a real fan of steampunk style. This theme is quite nice and mellow. From the screenshots I take it you're currently running it in Gnome fallback? I'll see how it looks in shell as well.
Here's to successful theming!

XianToa
December 8th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Cup 'o Ubuntu :)

Think golden, coffee, halo elite…
AwOken Gold icon theme I see…

cbowman57
December 8th, 2011, 09:13 PM
@cortman, no, those shots are of the shell, that's all I run bar unforseen problems. :)

Did you ever use Sam Riggs Old Steampunk theme? Pretty damn cool, he also made a Heavy Metal one that was neat too, his themes are loaded with images.

@XianToa, you all need to talk & come up with a name, I have a feeling this will have it's debut before the weekend is out, possibly as early as tomorrow or Saturday. Feel free to grab that attachment & take it for a test ride. :)

Yeah, I thought the gold icons went well with it, the code is 132660, the folder style is classy yellow. They will look even better after I darken that top panel just a touch.

cbowman57
December 9th, 2011, 04:58 AM
I'm pretty comfortable just using these little gold buttons.

What do you guys think?

werewolves
December 9th, 2011, 04:59 AM

What do you guys think?

Looks good to me.

cbowman57
December 9th, 2011, 05:11 AM
Looks good to me.

For the active window I have them scale up left-right. That look ok or better on the inactive window where they are all the same size?

cbowman57
December 9th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Have you guys come up with a name yet? I think we're going to need one before the weekend is over. :)

I'm liking the coffee related ideas the best I think, and I came up with one if a consensus isn't reached soon.

208772 208773

Btw, I keep a synced work in progress copy on the SpiderOak link in my signature. It can be found in The Golden Age Project folder.

cortman
December 9th, 2011, 02:25 PM

What do you guys think?

I was just going to ask you about the window decorations, etc. What theme are you using there? It looks pretty good.
What's the icon theme?

cbowman57
December 9th, 2011, 02:54 PM
I was just going to ask you about the window decorations, etc. What theme are you using there? It looks pretty good.
What's the icon theme?

The theme is a work in progress using the gtk from Old Steampunk, the metacity from Atolm-gtk & parts of 2 of tjusan' shell themes, GnomishDark & GnomishBeige. The iconset is colorized AwOken with code 132660 using the classy yellow folders from the same.

The only thing it needs now is a name, and there were a lot of suggestions. I think we're going to name it after a coffee beverage. And for some reason it practically washes out the main panel of gnome-control-center but the icons show up well so I think I'll ignore that for now & hope somebody that knows how to do themes contributes a fix for it.

cbowman57
December 9th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Ok everyone, I'm declaring it "good enough" for an initial release.

Let me know what you think of it.

For now it can be found at my SpiderOak archive in The Golden Age Project folder, link is in my signature. If you like a little more transparency there is an archived gnome-shell.css included. As you can see in the attached screenshot I have made an attempt to support the MGSE bottom panel.

And for anyone wondering, these shots are of Gnome shell.

cbowman57
December 9th, 2011, 05:41 PM
I was thinking of calling it "Sexual Chocolate" but decided against that one. :lol:

satanselbow
December 9th, 2011, 05:54 PM
I was thinking of calling it "Sexual Chocolate" but decided against that one. :lol:

I wrestled with a "Fudge" related offering... but this is a family show :D

Good work btw - looking polished now :popcorn:

stinkeye
December 9th, 2011, 06:07 PM
For now it can be found at my SpiderOak archive in The Golden Age Project folder
The Golden Age Project folder won't open for me or do I download whole folder. How big is the download?

cbowman57
December 9th, 2011, 06:20 PM
The Golden Age Project folder won't open for me or do I download whole folder. How big is the download?

Just the WIP tarball, about 500k.

stinkeye
December 9th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Just the WIP tarball, about 500k.
Project folder won't expand.

cbowman57
December 9th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Project folder won't expand.

Doesn't for me either, that whole folder is about 22M. I copied it back to the SkyDrive folder, you should be able to grab it from there.

Frogs Hair
December 9th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Hello ,

I tried your theme from the package link you posted and I was wondering if you were going to change the nautilus background color ?

Ocelot Dreams wallpaper :

stinkeye
December 9th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Got it thx.
Would also like to know how to change the light blue color.

cbowman57
December 9th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Hello ,

I tried your theme from the package link you posted and I was wondering if you were going to change the nautilus background color ?

Ocelot Dreams wallpaper :

I would if I knew how, I'm trying to drum up some aid from some of the theme masters. :)

I don't know if documentation or any helper apps exist, I've looked for years and always come up empty handed. Those guys that do a lot of these make me think of alchemists.

Btw, the version of the theme you're using has been updated a couple times already today. Not sure if you'll notice anything different with the current one or not.

With luck it is good enough that I can get it up on gnome-look or DeviantArt and get some assistance from the wizards. I'd like to get nautilus tricked out some more, if you noticed the system settings window is washed out, fortunately the icons are visible, but that's something else I'd like to find a fix for.

cbowman57
December 9th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Got it thx.
Would also like to know how to change the light blue color.

Huh, I don't get that light blue background. I wonder if compiz is doing that? I've not tried it with Unity so I don't know what's causing that.

The truth of the matter is that I just do a lot of trial & error. You probably already read what I told Frogs Hair, I'm hoping it will be good enough and one of the real artists will take an interest & help perfect it.

Unfortunately I can't be of much help beyond where it is now. :(

cbowman57
December 9th, 2011, 08:27 PM
There is a way to import appearance settings for individual apps but I couldn't figure it out.

@stinkeye, my nautilus background looks a little gray on my machine. Maybe it's a real pale blue but I don't know for certain.

stinkeye
December 9th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Probably is grey.
Color #C8C8C8
Looks out of place though, but I don't know where change to in gtk3.

cbowman57
December 9th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Probably is grey.
Color #C8C8C8
Looks out of place though, but I don't know where change to in gtk3.

Yeah, I searched everywhere for c8c8c8, couldn't find it, even looked at the translated rgb code, but that didn't make itself obvious either.

Should be an easier way of doing themes.

Frogs Hair
December 9th, 2011, 10:37 PM
I found where to change the nautilus background . It is in the GTK widgets CSS next to background-color just below the second " Fix Me " section . The gray color hint helped ! I inserted a test color and it worked .

Frogs Hair
December 9th, 2011, 11:02 PM
I intend on changing this , but here is my second test color . I had to logout and in for the change to take effect .

stinkeye
December 9th, 2011, 11:08 PM
I found where to change the nautilus background . It is in the GTK widgets CSS next to background-color just below the second " Fix Me " section . The gray color hint helped ! I inserted a test color and it worked .
Well done. Here's my color #E3D5AE

cbowman57
December 10th, 2011, 01:42 AM
I intend on changing this , but here is my second test color . I had to logout and in for the change to take effect .

* Duh, shows how out of it I am tonight, you already did it. Where's the emoticon for feeling totally embarrassed? :)

Just came out of a nap, been sleep deprived for a few days so my brain has turned to mush.

Are you guys talking about the area near line 881?
/* progressbars on primary toolbar entries are special */
.primary-toolbar.toolbar.entry.progressbar {
/* FIXME: need correct colors/gradient */
background-image: -gtk-gradient (linear,
left top, left bottom,
from (@trough_bg_color_a),
to (@trough_bg_color_b));

border-width: 0;
border-radius: 2;
border-color: shade (@inactive_frame_color, 0.925);
}I'd appreciate an example of where & what exactly so I can apply that fix.

Was it nautilus specific or did it change gnome-control-center as well? (system settings)

So, after all the suggestions I was inspired to call this ChocoLatte. That sound ok to you guys?

Frogs Hair
December 10th, 2011, 01:55 AM
The background changed in system settings also and my screen shot in post 42 shows the location .

cbowman57
December 10th, 2011, 02:14 AM
The background changed in system settings also and my screen shot in post 42 shows the location .

Sweet! You guys are what make using Linux so cool.

This is what I've applied, give me 10 minutes and the site will be updated. :)

.view {
background-color: rgba(90,69,34,1.0); /* #c8c8c8; */
color: rgba(215,201,153,1.0);
border-radius: 0;
border-width: 2;

I must have really been tired earlier, I couldn't find that #c8c8c8 to save my life.

That was the missing piece Frogs Hair & stinkeye, thanks a lot.

cbowman57
December 10th, 2011, 02:21 AM
Ok, color codes selected, updated & on SpiderOak right now. :)

I think it looks great.

cbowman57
December 10th, 2011, 02:30 AM
This is how mine is looking now after you guys solved the nautilus bg problem.

I think it's gorgeous, & you guys :guitar: .

cbowman57
December 10th, 2011, 02:48 AM
Alright, the TODO list tomorrow includes tidying up the theme a bit, crediting those that contributed to it's development & hopefully get it up on gnome-look.org.

Great job guys, I'm really pleased with the finished product.

werewolves
December 10th, 2011, 02:48 AM
Well done. Here's my color #E3D5AE

I definitely prefer this color to the darker examples.

cbowman57
December 10th, 2011, 02:56 AM
I definitely prefer this color to the darker examples.

Not sure how close I came to #E3D5AE I used gpick to take some color samples & used the rgba code, that appears to be the trend so who am I to question it.

I also adjusted the line below it to fix the displayed text color for readability. (Looking at that there is no clue that it's for text color)

cbowman57
December 10th, 2011, 03:23 AM
Can't remember if I mentioned this earlier or not, but there is a gnome-shell.css included if you like your panels more transparent.

With the right wallpaper it's a really nice, but subtle, effect.

deonis
December 10th, 2011, 03:31 AM
I would go with Gold Blazer

cbowman57
December 10th, 2011, 03:54 AM
I would go with Gold Blazer

That's a good one too, however, inspired by all the fantastic suggestions I have decided on ChocoLatte.

I hope everyone enjoys this theme.

If I can figure out how I will mark this thread [Solved].

Thanks everyone.

cbowman57
December 10th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Added link to deviantART (http://cbowman57.deviantart.com/art/ChocoLatte-273193264)

Dlambert
December 10th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Looks good!

cbowman57
December 10th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Looks good!

Danke. :)

cbowman57
December 10th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Submitted to gnome-look.org (http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ChocoLatte?content=147493)

Frogs Hair
December 10th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Submitted to gnome-look.org (http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ChocoLatte?content=147493)

I will download the in a few minutes . Gnome Look doesn't have your screen shots up yet .

cbowman57
December 10th, 2011, 08:45 PM
I will download the in a few minutes . Gnome Look doesn't have your screen shots up yet .

I was doing a quick edit & their system seems a little slow today but it links to deviantART & everything seems to be working as it should.

I put you & stinkeye in the credits, if you prefer your real name over this alias I would be happy to oblige.

First attempt at something like this, though I've been tweaking my own themes for awhile. Hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew. :)

Thanks again for the assist.

vanlong441
December 11th, 2011, 02:23 PM
[/QUOTE]

The history, I started just toying around with GnomishBeige this morning & in no time it started turning into what I consider a very elegant theme. Not a big fan of brown but there was something about this that just held my interest & I find very soothing & attractive.

hey cbowman57 :) I think we have an alike excuse :popcorn:

cbowman57
December 11th, 2011, 05:38 PM
I must be dense because it just dawned on me last night, the similarity between the shell panel and that of say, Ubuntu 10.04. And the light browns blend right with the theme in this forum, the beige portions.

Anybody else notice that?

I use other distros but it makes me think Ubuntu has warped me for life. :lol:

cbowman57
December 11th, 2011, 11:11 PM
If you use the Windows Icon List extension you can use this to overwrite the stylesheet.css to compliment this theme.

/* Stylesheet modified to go with shell theme ChocoLatte */

.window-list-box {
spacing: 3px;
padding-left: 5px;
padding-top: 1px;
}

.window-list-item-box {
background-gradient-direction: vertical;
background-gradient-start: rgba(255,255,255,0.0);
background-gradient-end: rgba(255,255,255,0.0);
box-shadow: inset 0px 0px 1px 1px rgba(135,115,62,0.0);
border-radius: 5px;
}

.window-list-item-box:active,
.window-list-item-box:checked,
.window-list-item-box:focus {
background-gradient-start: rgba(135,115,62,0.0);
box-shadow: inset 0px 0px 1px 1px rgba(135,115,62,1.0);
}

.window-list-item-box:hover {

box-shadow: inset 0px 0px 1px 1px rgba(135,115,62,1.0);
}

.window-list-item-label {
font-weight: bold;
width: 15em;
min-width: 5px;
}

.window-list-item-box-bottom {
color: rgba(255,255,255,0.0);
background-gradient-end: rgba(255,255,255,0.2);
border-radius: 5px 5px 0px 0px;
}

.window-list-item-box-bottom:active,
.window-list-item-box-bottom:checked,
.window-list-item-box-bottom:focus {
}

.window-list-item-box-bottom:hover {

box-shadow: inset 0px 0px 1px 1px rgba(135,115,62,0.2);
}

vanlong441
December 12th, 2011, 01:51 AM
I must be dense because it just dawned on me last night, the similarity between the shell panel and that of say, Ubuntu 10.04. And the light browns blend right with the theme in this forum, the beige portions.

Anybody else notice that?

not sure if it blends right with the forum's theme but the colors do not go against each other ;) +1 for that

If you use the Windows Icon List extension you can use this to overwrite the stylesheet.css to compliment this theme.

you should include the windowlist in the introduction part of deviantart and gnome-look. However, I think your theme needs more boldness, the transparency does play some role but not as effective as solid colors I think. Here is the screenshot of your shell goes with my windowlist settings.

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/6526/workspace1010a.png

cbowman57
December 12th, 2011, 02:05 AM
The stylesheet is for Window List Icon extension, not the Window List extension.

There are plenty of bold themes don't you think? I wanted something more sedate, maybe a little sophisticated even.

I'm cautious about changing up too many files on deviantART, I'm just learning how to use it and if I break a link it screws up a lot of people. It's a package available on AUR for one example.

I haven't compared the stylesheets between the two different extensions but I'm guessing that the MGSE window list uses one a little different than this.

Btw, I don't mind the comments & suggestions but keep in mind, I designed this to satisfy what I was looking for in a theme & built it. The same option is there for everybody. Look at what Frogs Hair & stinkeye did for example, they helped me identify a problem & offered a solution which benefited everyone that uses this theme. Back in the old days of the BS there used to be l33t art guilds that would whip up screens & menus occasionally on request but I don't know if that exists anymore.

cbowman57
December 12th, 2011, 02:31 AM
Here's a ChocoLatte theme for the window buttons extension:

vanlong441
December 12th, 2011, 03:00 AM
First, I like what you did with your shell because the reason you had for making it was the same as mine--accidentally changed something and came up with the idea. When I say boldness, I thought of less gradient alone and add more borders to gradient, like the panel-button on top and etc... I could not tell you what to do so I left it as a suggestion of "boldness". It's your theme after all and I respect that.

Second, I myself deleted and reuploaded files a few times on deviantart. It lets you notify people who added the themes to watchers about the changes. And it is also a good idea to keep things fresh along with the new stuff come to our mind. So don't be worry much about messing with deviantart :)

ok, I got the name wrong. The extension was for icon-only, not the windowlist. Still, the "boldness" suggestion is valid with extensions :P

larrypg
December 12th, 2011, 03:10 AM
Frogs Hair,

I was wondering where you got the Ocelot Dreams wallpaper?

thanks

cbowman57
December 12th, 2011, 03:18 AM
ok, thanks vanlong. :)