PDA

View Full Version : In search of comfort

Lalaith
December 8th, 2011, 12:36 AM
Hi, I'm an absolute newbie "a bit" disappointed.

I'm trying to build my way on Ubuntu from a brand new Asus laptop, I've got it already 3 weeks or so running and I still haven't fixed some major problems I've found.

Everyday I make a list of things I would like to fix in order to work confortably on Ubuntu but I go to sleep and my list hasn't got smaller (and I swear the Ubuntu Forums page is my most visited page).
Every change brings me more problems, and on every forum I surf I discover new things to add on my list. I'm considering adding a new post on the "absolute beginners talk" for every question I'd like to have answered, but I fear a mod would take me out for orverwhelming the users. :P

I'm trying to find a reason why I've bought a great PC and I'm renouncing to have 10 hours bat life, a great NVIDIA card running, a simple not-beta skype program running, the Fn keys not working... I'm feeling like I've thrown my money away.

I've changed from Windows to Linux because this beautiful idea of Free Software and all that. I read Ubuntu was the newbie-friendlier distro of Linux. Well, I can assure the Forums are a lot newbie-friendly, but I'm starting to think on switching back to Windows and this lets me down.

I know it's only a matter of time, and I'm learning a lot trying to fix everything, but I've got enough. Someone told me "switch to Mint", but I don't want to skip the problems here and start again, I could have the same problems there.

So please, remind me why I switched to Ubuntu...

CharlesA
December 8th, 2011, 12:49 AM
You switched for your own reasons. :)

Laptops are hit or miss when it comes to running *nix. I have had it run decently on an Asus netbook, but it was a tad touchy. Twofinger scrolling didn't work and the fn keys were a bit wonky.

Basher101
December 8th, 2011, 12:52 AM
This is the only actual problem i see with Linux distros. They do not work well on all hardware, which is a given with Windows....but if you are patient and persistent enough to bear with it and trying to fix it, i can (almost) assure that you will have very good experiences with Linux.

Copper Bezel
December 8th, 2011, 01:13 AM
It's tiresome, certainly. You can get lucky and have a system run perfectly, or have hours of chasing down bugs without ever really getting everything working, and either way, have everything break with an OS release upgrade.

Laptops are hit or miss when it comes to running *nix. I have had it run decently on an Asus netbook, but it was a tad touchy. Twofinger scrolling didn't work and the fn keys were a bit wonky.
Yeah, whereas I've never had either of those problems on my Eee, but had intermittent problems with the wifi card on certain releases, suspend and resume problems in 9.10, audio hiccups in 10.04-10.10, and now graphics card problems (under Shell, and a return of wifi unpredictability) in 11.10.

11.04 was, strangely, perfect.

angryfirelord
December 8th, 2011, 01:45 AM

I'm trying to build my way on Ubuntu from a brand new Asus laptop, I've got it already 3 weeks or so running and I still haven't fixed some major problems I've found.

Everyday I make a list of things I would like to fix in order to work confortably on Ubuntu but I go to sleep and my list hasn't got smaller (and I swear the Ubuntu Forums page is my most visited page).
Every change brings me more problems, and on every forum I surf I discover new things to add on my list. I'm considering adding a new post on the "absolute beginners talk" for every question I'd like to have answered, but I fear a mod would take me out for orverwhelming the users. :P

I'm trying to find a reason why I've bought a great PC and I'm renouncing to have 10 hours bat life, a great NVIDIA card running, a simple not-beta skype program running, the Fn keys not working... I'm feeling like I've thrown my money away.

I've changed from Windows to Linux because this beautiful idea of Free Software and all that. I read Ubuntu was the newbie-friendlier distro of Linux. Well, I can assure the Forums are a lot newbie-friendly, but I'm starting to think on switching back to Windows and this lets me down.

I know it's only a matter of time, and I'm learning a lot trying to fix everything, but I've got enough. Someone told me "switch to Mint", but I don't want to skip the problems here and start again, I could have the same problems there.

So please, remind me why I switched to Ubuntu...
Well, keep in mind that you don't have to switch instantly. I've always done a dual-boot setup simply because there are some things that I can't use under a *nix system, such as Visual Studio. Plus, this will allow you to fix problems incrementally instead of having to try to solve everything all at once.

If you're not sure where to start, focus on the hardware-end first. In other words, don't worry about Wine or other software yet. Once all of your hardware appears to be working, then you can look at other areas.

And remember, Google is your friend! Sometimes typing something like ubuntu & the name of your issue will yield some hits. One of the nice things about Ubuntu is that its install base is fairly large compared to other distros, so I've found out how to fix a lot of things that way.

ClientAlive
December 8th, 2011, 01:58 AM
Well If you're not sure where to start, focus on the hardware-end first. In other words, don't worry about Wine or other software yet. Once all of your hardware appears to be working, then you can look at other areas.

And remember, Google is your friend! Sometimes typing something like ubuntu & the name of your issue will yield some hits. One of the nice things about Ubuntu is that its install base is fairly large compared to other distros, so I've found out how to fix a lot of things that way.

+1

And there's http://www.googlubuntu.com/ which searches for all ubuntu stuff.

I don't know how I came to this conclusion, probably accumulation of things I've seen and heard so far, I think the Asus computers in particular are challenging when it comes to running Linux.

I've only run Linux (Ubuntu 10.04 LTS now but started with 11.04) for about 9 mos. I have a certain wireless card that's known to be troublesome but it wasn't too bad to get fixed and I made a great friend in the process. Most of the folks around here are really great, they'll help you if you ask.

Good luck.
:)

jjex22
December 8th, 2011, 01:59 AM
No guarantees of course but 10.04 runs a lot more out of the box on my netbook and laptop than 11.10... actually so did 10.10 and 11.04! I've had a lot of hardware issues with 11.10 that I've not experienced in a while. I didn't notice some of them at first, so I don't know if it's an update - but brightness has definitely become a problem!

Also check out if anyone has made any packages that may help - When I found samsung-tools for my netbook it was possibly my second happiest linux day after the day I actually finished my first source based install!

c.cobb
December 8th, 2011, 04:35 AM
Well, keep in mind that you don't have to switch instantly. I've always done a dual-boot setup simply because there are some things that I can't use under a *nix system, such as Visual Studio. Plus, this will allow you to fix problems incrementally instead of having to try to solve everything all at once.

This is really good advise. I worked many years as a Unix admin and engineer, and still spent 5 or 6 months pulling the plug on Windows. Model it in VirtualBox, try different distros, make a list of your must haves and your want to haves. Make sure what you need works, or there are good alternatives.

Then do it the other way 'round: Switch to Linux, and set up a VirtualBox with Windows. There are some things that just don't work under Wine.
Good luck,

p.d. I don't dual-boot 'cuz it just takes so freakin' long to boot Windozze, and I rarely need it to run at top speed -- not being a gamer.

drawkcab
December 8th, 2011, 05:27 AM
Here's the deal: when you buy the latest, greatest hardware it is often the case that the linux kernel has not yet caught up in terms of support. It will, however.

beew
December 8th, 2011, 05:40 AM
A brand new Asus laptop with a great Nvidia card?? I am almost 100% sure that you have Optimus so I am not surprised that it doesn't work. You have Nvidia (and ASUS) to blame. Check out the bumblebee or ironhide project.

I wish I could give you some links but google is not working where I am for the last 5 minutes or so.

wolfen69
December 8th, 2011, 06:46 AM
The problem is, it's a brand new laptop. The linux developers need time to catch up to the new hardware. You'd be pretty much golden if you stick to hardware that is at least 6 months old. Don't blame linux, blame the manufacturers.

kurt18947
December 8th, 2011, 07:33 AM
A brand new Asus laptop with a great Nvidia card?? I am almost 100% sure that you have Optimus so I am not surprised that it doesn't work. You have Nvidia (and ASUS) to blame. Check out the bumblebee or ironhide project.

I wish I could give you some links but google is not working where I am for the last 5 minutes or so.

This is something that may sorta trap the unwary. Nvidia video gets kudos in many threads and articles for its Linux support & compatibility and it's been justified -- until Optimus. Right now it seems difficult to choose a laptop/notebook that doesn't use Intel graphics that works well with Linux. Nvidia/Optimus and AMD/Fusion both seem to have their issues.

wolfen69
December 8th, 2011, 08:31 AM
This is something that may sorta trap the unwary. Nvidia video gets kudos in many threads and articles for its Linux support & compatibility and it's been justified -- until Optimus. Right now it seems difficult to choose a laptop/notebook that doesn't use Intel graphics that works well with Linux. Nvidia/Optimus and AMD/Fusion both seem to have their issues.

That's why I always make sure my portable devices are all Intel chipsets. I don't need high end 3D on a laptop or netbook, so no big deal.

But it's really a shame when a noob goes out and buys a new laptop, and linux won't work well with it. It's important to do research before buying, is the lesson here.

gradinaruvasile
December 8th, 2011, 08:48 AM
That's why I always make sure my portable devices are all Intel chipsets. I don't need high end 3D on a laptop or netbook, so no big deal.

Optimus too have Intel onboard graphics. Exactly that is the issue - Intel seem to have forced their onboard graphics into every laptop, with or without dedicated graphics.
So Nvidia and AMD(Ati) had to come up with some solution - that is switchable graphics on AMD video cards and Optimus with Nvidia. Of the 2, it seems Optimus fares worse that AMD in Linux compatibility - i have seen Lenovos with AMD cards and all had BIOS options to select the video card. In contrast, Optimus-based laptops mostly dont have this and the Intel chip is the only one that works out of the box.

To the OP: You should check the BIOS (or UEFI) if there are any options related to graphics cards - some laptops have the option in BIOS for selecting only one video card.

PS. Nvidia cards have a history of overheating and failing in high end laptops (i have seen in Dell Latitudes and Lenovos). Monitor its temperatures carefully (the Linux nvidia driver has built-in temperature monitoring). Of course, if you can get it working...

boazjones
December 8th, 2011, 06:27 PM

I'm trying to build my way on Ubuntu from a brand new Asus laptop, I've got it already 3 weeks or so running and I still haven't fixed some major problems I've found...

...So please, remind me why I switched to Ubuntu...

I'm rocking Oneiric Ocelot on my trusty Asus G50v - which is a very solid and almost ancient laptop.

I can only say that you should take heart:KS; and not be discouraged - because, with the degree of support that is offered in this community and online, you will find that learning Ubuntu is a very challenging and rewarding experience.

I don't miss the proprietary OS at all - for my personal computing needs, that is...

My Asus also runs better without Windows.

AllenGG
December 8th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Hola Lalaith !!!!
Anything from ASUS runs better with Linux. BUT, no matter what you do it requires INPUT, by you. It's about decisions and freedom to choose, inlike Microsoft or Apple.
You were given a suggestion, try Linux Mint . It is slightly more user friendly and slightly less "freedom of choice".
First, you did not state any tech specs for your laptop. 32 or 64 bit. ?
A top of the line G73 series (IMHO), that was meant to work on Linux. ???
Try a Linux Mint "DVD" version, a try-it b4 you buy-it , or "Live-DVD". I just tried Mint 12/64 bit live a few minutes ago from a DVD and I was shocked by the speed.
Mint is a derivative of Ubuntu and a little easier for newbies. I also have the new Ubuntu-32 on my old Acer laptop,
with "Oneiric Ocelot" works like a charm, and several people (who do not know they are using Linux) have no problem !
IF I can help directly, send me a PM
regards from Mazatlan, Mexico!!:cool:

Copper Bezel
December 8th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Mint isn't going to deal with the hardware any differently than Ubuntu does. The drivers are the same - Mint only changes some of the end-user software.

philinux
December 8th, 2011, 09:17 PM
I'm considering adding a new post on the "absolute beginners talk" for every question I'd like to have answered, but I fear a mod would take me out for orverwhelming the users. :P
l

No problem but I would suggest one at once :P

Copper Bezel
December 8th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Yeah, and consider Hardware and Laptops for problems specific to a particular graphics or wireless card, Desktop Environments for problems specific to the DE or enduser apps, etc. Absolute Beginner Help is very fast-moving, and I imagine it's easy for your questions to get lost.

Here's the deal: when you buy the latest, greatest hardware it is often the case that the linux kernel has not yet caught up in terms of support. It will, however.
And then break a year later because it's considered obsolete.