PDA

View Full Version : Sunset

KiwiNZ
December 7th, 2011, 08:45 PM
An awesome sunset , this is taken from our deck last night using my iPhone. I used the iPhone as sunsets usually disappear buy the time I get my SLR out.

Just thought I would share as it was stunning.

IWantFroyo
December 7th, 2011, 08:49 PM
I wish our sunsets were like that. We have so much pollution here in VA that the sky is perpetually gray on the horizon. Wrecks the sunsets.

Dry Lips
December 7th, 2011, 09:09 PM
The following pic isn't technically a sunset, since... Well, actually we don't have
any sun at all right now. This was picture was taken around 12:30 this morning.

KiwiNZ
December 7th, 2011, 09:20 PM
The following pic isn't technically a sunset, since... Well, actually we don't have
any sun at all right now. This was picture was taken around 12:30 this morning.

That is awesome

Paddy Landau
December 7th, 2011, 09:29 PM
This was picture was taken around 12:30 this morning.
Gosh, sun at midnight! Well, not night... Where in the world are you? Obviously within the Antarctic circle.

Dry Lips
December 7th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Gosh, sun at midnight! Well, not night... Where in the world are you? Obviously within the Antarctic circle.

12:30... In other words half an hour past noon. I'm not that far away from the British Islands. ;)
And I'm afraid the sun won't come up until January...

hakermania
December 7th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Nice one, in Greece we have sunsets like this one every single day of October. Now it's over, most of the days clouds cover the whole sky.

Stovey
December 7th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Here's mine, I took this yesterday morning. Not as nice as the other two, those are stunning!

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p195/BassBucket/Tree.jpg

hansdown
December 8th, 2011, 01:30 AM
An awesome sunset , this is taken from our deck last night using my iPhone. I used the iPhone as sunsets usually disappear buy the time I get my SLR out.

That is beautiful.

Linuxratty
December 8th, 2011, 01:30 AM
Beautiful shots everyone!

jjex22
December 8th, 2011, 02:24 AM
Ah after 6 years living in Devon, returning to London has meant no stars, and really naff sunsets! Loving the pictures people!

Not had a chance to take any pictures really, But I attatched the view that went with my morning coffee last week... sorry about the quality - Blackberry!

KiwiNZ
December 8th, 2011, 02:41 AM
This is my City

jjex22
December 8th, 2011, 02:47 AM
This is my City
Beautiful.. and it's summer! my nips could have cut glass coming home today!

KiwiNZ
December 8th, 2011, 03:13 AM
Beautiful.. and it's summer! my nips could have cut glass coming home today!

My pic of the city was taken mid winter, but yes we are in summer now, just, December 1 was the start.

c.cobb
December 8th, 2011, 04:05 AM

Wow, wonderful. There's something really inspiring about an awesome sunset. Haven't had such good ones this year, but here's one from earlier. It's reflected in the glass walls (https://picasaweb.google.com/chris.a.cobb/Wallpaper#5413440884277144914) of my little atrium room, with a hill and some plants showing through. No photoshoping. :-)

mips
December 8th, 2011, 08:53 AM
My pic of the city was taken mid winter, but yes we are in summer now, just, December 1 was the start.

What's the water temp like in December?

KiwiNZ
December 8th, 2011, 09:48 AM
The average temp in the deepest parts is around 16 degrees Celsius.
It can be up to 20+ in the shallower areas.

Paddy Landau
December 8th, 2011, 03:40 PM
12:30... In other words half an hour past noon.
LOL -- that's 12:30 p.m. You must have amazing summer days when the winter has finished.

There have been some amazing shots in this thread! I'll have to get up early to photograph our sunrise -- but I don't know if it'll be worth it :-|

Stovey
December 8th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Ah after 6 years living in Devon, returning to London has meant no stars, and really naff sunsets! Loving the pictures people!

Not had a chance to take any pictures really, But I attatched the view that went with my morning coffee last week... sorry about the quality - Blackberry!

So that is London? The "acorn" building is really nifty.

Dry Lips
December 8th, 2011, 09:53 PM
LOL -- that's 12:30 p.m.
I never remember the difference between a.m./p.m :P

You must have amazing summer days when the winter has finished.
Aye, the summer night is light and starless; in other words useful for anything
except sleeping. ;)

Paddy Landau
December 9th, 2011, 09:27 AM
I never remember the difference between a.m./p.m
That's easy.

a.m. = antemeridian, i.e. "before midday" (ante means before; meridian = midday).
p.m. = postmeridian, i.e. "after midday" (post means after).

Also:

Midday = noon = 12 in the middle of the day
Midnight = 12 in the middle of the night

Thus:

12:30 a.m. means 12:30 before noon, i.e. half an hour after midnight.
12:30 p.m. means 12:30 after noon, i.e. half an hour after midday.

Words:

Morning = before noon (so 12:30 a.m. is 12:30 in the morning).
Afternoon = after noon (so 12:30 p.m. is 12:30 in the afternoon).

(Bizarrely, the word noon, which now means midday, originally derived from the Roman word meaning the ninth hour after sunrise, i.e. about 3 p.m. Its meaning changed to midday somewhere around the 13th and 14th centuries.)

Dealing with 12 o'clock (o'clock is an abbreviation for "of the clock"):

12:00 a.m. means 12:00 before noon, which means midnight as the day starts.
12:00 p.m. means 12:00 after noon, which means midnight as the day ends.

Thus 12 a.m and 12 p.m. are both midnight!
Midday is neither 12 a.m. nor 12 p.m., but 12 noon.

However, watch manufacturers have adopted a de facto standard whereby:

12:00 a.m. means midnight
12:00 p.m. means midday

To avoid any confusion, use either "noon" or "midday" for 12 in the middle of the day, and "midnight" for 12 in the middle of the night.

HTH

I tried to photograph this morning's late sunrise, but it was spectacularly unspectacular! I shall try this evening's sunset.

Paddy Landau
December 9th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Mine isn't so amazing, but it is different. That's the moon in the picture; obviously, it is on the opposite side of the setting sun.

lisati
December 9th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Found some photos while contemplating reworking the content on my website. I can't remember when I took them - it was a long time ago - but it was with a 35mm film camera.

I never remember the difference between a.m./p.m :P

Aye, the summer night is light and starless; in other words useful for anything
except sleeping. ;)

Another way: a.m. = after midnight, or "at" morning, p.m. = precedes midnight.

sanderella
December 9th, 2011, 09:48 PM
So that is London? The "acorn" building is really nifty.

It's actually called the gherkin!

Dry Lips
December 19th, 2011, 12:59 AM
12:00 a.m. means midnight
12:00 p.m. means midday

To avoid any confusion, use either "noon" or "midday" for 12 in the middle of the day, and "midnight" for 12 in the middle of the night.

In other parts of the world, midnight is 00:00, noon is 12:00, six o'clock P.M is 18:00, etc.
I didn't remember that writing "12:30" could be misunderstood where the 24 hour convention isn't followed.

Hopefully I'll remember that AM/PM thing now thanks to you and Lisati. ;)