PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu 11.10 Remote Desktop to Windows 7 Doesn't work

jaime256
December 7th, 2011, 05:37 PM
So I've been trying to connect to my Windows 7 Pro box for over a week and have had no luck. I was able to connect to my box before installing this version on my desktop. So far I have tried remmina, remoted desktop viewer, KRDC and I'm still having no luck. I can ping the machine, but just can't get a remote desktop connection to it. I manage that machine from the desktop since it's the htpc and don't want to be in front of the TV every time I need to change something. Has anyone found a fix for this on this version of Ubuntu? Thanks.

Note: I should mention I'm using the gnone shell and classic mode.

cybergalvez
December 7th, 2011, 06:46 PM
are you getting any error messages? can you run one of the RDP clients in a terminal window to see if there is an error

oldtimer7777
December 7th, 2011, 07:10 PM
This is what I use to remote connect to Windows 7:

https://debianhelp.wordpress.com/2011/07/05/how-to-teamviewer-6-for-ubuntu-natty-and-maverick/

Never any issues or problems either.

So I've been trying to connect to my Windows 7 Pro box for over a week and have had no luck. I was able to connect to my box before installing this version on my desktop. So far I have tried remmina, remoted desktop viewer, KRDC and I'm still having no luck. I can ping the machine, but just can't get a remote desktop connection to it. I manage that machine from the desktop since it's the htpc and don't want to be in front of the TV every time I need to change something. Has anyone found a fix for this on this version of Ubuntu? Thanks.

Note: I should mention I'm using the gnone shell and classic mode.

jaime256
December 7th, 2011, 07:17 PM
No errors show up just a blank screen when running the programs. They just stay blank.

are you getting any error messages? can you run one of the RDP clients in a terminal window to see if there is an error

jaime256
December 7th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Thanks, I know about that program, I'm just trying to get these working without having to install too many programs.

This is what I use to remote connect to Windows 7:

https://debianhelp.wordpress.com/2011/07/05/how-to-teamviewer-6-for-ubuntu-natty-and-maverick/

Never any issues or problems either.

jaime256
December 7th, 2011, 07:20 PM
I'm currently restoring my old windows on my laptop now. I never did use it, but now I think the updates should make it work nicer so I'm going back to that one for now. Once it's done I'll double check from there and see if I can log in to my 7 box. So now I'm down to just one Ubuntu box which is the desktop I'm using.

thaelim
December 7th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Your problem is caused by the higher level of security enabled by default for Remote Desktop in Windows Vista onwards. You need to reconfigure your Windows machine to disable NLA so that Linux RDP clients can connect to it. On the windows machine:

- Start -> type "remote"
- Select "Allow remote access to your computer"
- In the resulting dialog select "Allow remote access from computers running any version of Remote Desktop (less secure)". Click OK
- Done

jaime256
December 7th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Thanks thaelem. You're half right. I had set this up already, but I don't know what update or if adding a vpn connection reset this setting to not allow connections. I just tried my laptop and got the same thing so that's when I went back to the htpc and see what the hell happened. In short, this was reset back to "do not allow any connections" and I just chose the "allow" again and things are back up. Hope this helps others scratching their heads on this. Thanks for the input guys. So all the programs are now connecting fine. Phew...weird but that's what happened, still testing Windows 7 with Ubuntu and XP.

Your problem is caused by the higher level of security enabled by default for Remote Desktop in Windows Vista onwards. You need to reconfigure your Windows machine to disable NLA so that Linux RDP clients can connect to it. On the windows machine:

- Start -> type "remote"
- Select "Allow remote access to your computer"
- In the resulting dialog select "Allow remote access from computers running any version of Remote Desktop (less secure)". Click OK
- Done

jaime256
December 8th, 2011, 12:20 AM
Now I have a question about the ubuntu programs, do they support Network Level Authentication? I just updated the xp client and want to know if Ubuntu clients support this. I suppose I'll find out when I try it, but just thought I ask since I haven't yet.

Well, I just answered my own question, they don't. I guess this is a windows support task, if not how can this be added to the Ubuntu clients?

So far all xp to windows 7 are up and running, including vpn, I know this isn't a windows thread/site, but just thought I mention it while testing all three system connections.

jaime256
December 9th, 2011, 10:09 PM
I found the answer to my last question about network level authentication here. So in short, you can't use level authentication with ubuntu since that's a windows feature.
http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2008/02/16/ws2008-network-level-authentication-and-encryption.aspx