PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Update Manager - knowing what to install

Ma5abre
December 7th, 2011, 03:51 PM
When update manager pops up should you just install everything or should you know what each particular update is actually for?

For example my main headache is with Kernel Updates.

BC59
December 7th, 2011, 04:08 PM
I install everything they provide. If there is an update for a package, why not to install it?

For the kernel updates, sometimes they give problems but there is always the solution to boot with the old one from the grub menu in the beginning, then from Startup Manager (if you don't have it you can install it from the Ubuntu Software Center) to change the boot order to boot permanently using the old kernel and that's it.

Rex Bouwense
December 7th, 2011, 08:00 PM
While no update is 100% guaranteed not to bork your computer, the security updates are to fix a security problem and other updates merely install new versions of the programs that you already have installed. As BC59 already stated kernel updates can be taken care of if they mess up your system. I always install updates.

snowpine
December 7th, 2011, 08:06 PM
I recommend installing all updates.

However because Ubuntu is "open source" you can read the Changelog to learn exactly what each update provides. If you are a programmer then you can even study the source code. :)

Ma5abre
December 8th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Thank you for your responses they have help me with my worries.

I think my main concern originally was whether update manager was showing me updates for things that were only on my computer or whether there were also updates displayed for things that I didn't have and had no need for.