PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can't get grub splash screen to show

Goldpin
December 7th, 2011, 10:49 AM
I've just upgraded to Ubuntu 11.10. While I was using Lucid, I had a customized grub screen. However, I can't get the same thing in 11.10. I've installed the grub customizer, and it will show a grub splash in the "appearance" tab, but not when the computer boots.
Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

fantab
December 7th, 2011, 01:18 PM
I've just upgraded to Ubuntu 11.10. While I was using Lucid, I had a customized grub screen. However, I can't get the same thing in 11.10. I've installed the grub customizer, and it will show a grub splash in the "appearance" tab, but not when the computer boots.
Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

From Terminal run

sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

and find this line:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

if the "quiet splash" is missing then add to the line and save the file, it its already there then just ignore this step and do following in either case.

sudo update-grub

Goldpin
December 8th, 2011, 02:07 AM
From Terminal run

sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

and find this line:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

if the "quiet splash" is missing then add to the line and save the file, it its already there then just ignore this step and do following in either case.

sudo update-grub

The command line shows "quiet splash". I also ran update-grub and it shows a second kernel in the options, but the grub screen that comes up at boot doesn't. Also, the second kernel has -pae at the end. Does anyone know what this is????

Goldpin
December 8th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Changed the type of splash screen and it appeared. Found that the previous kernels can be accessed by pressing 'enter' on the 'previous operating systems'option